EDA/PCB - defaults for "standard" through hole PCBs like we all use...

Started by Toy Sun, January 24, 2023, 05:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Sun

Hi,
Getting ready to dive into making a PCB. Still haven't landed on the design tool, but this question is agnostic to that, I hope.

What are the basic parameters to create a simple, double sided PCB like the type that I get from the PCB folks in our community? (commercial PCBs). Things like pitch, hole size, trace width, etc? 

I found a book "Hitchhiker's Guide to PCB Design" and it really stresses getting away from the creator program's default parameters. Makes sense, but I am concerned that I'm going to have to go through a few cycles of getting a bad board back from the fab before I get fully educated.

Planning on starting with an Electra, btw.

Thanks in advance,
John

antonis

Double sided PCB for an Electra Distortion..??

For low count componets circuits, use the bigger size/width for traces, pads, etc..
(it saves etchant solution..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bartimaeus

What program are you using? The default values in Kicad are all totally fine for pedals, and well above the minimum specs of modern PCB fab houses. The baseline for "cheap" PCBs has gotten much better in the past couple decades. If you order from PCBWay or JLC or OshPark and get back a "bad" PCB, it'll be because of your component layout, not because of the minimum trace width. Most pedal PCBs I see are using 20 or 30 mil traces, while those places can reliably create 5 or 6 mil traces for no extra cost.

glops

These tutorials got me started in Eagle:

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9661.0

I was able to then get some boards made easily at jlpcb which are really really cheap. Like $2 for 5 boards plus shipping.

Effects layouts did some more recent Eagle tutorials which would be a good resource, as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X67wazQz0zQ

With Eagle I use the effects layouts and madbean libraries which have pretty much have all the components you need for making a PCB. Since I am on a Mac I use eagle. I tried diptrace but didn't like laying out a board in it (heard it's much better on PC). I also had downloaded kicad but did not like the user interface so just went back to Eagle which I like a lot but I pay for monthly.

Toy Sun

Thanks all,
My fab house of choice has been (up to now) pcbway. Probably stick with them. I knew this would turn into a "what software" discussion, that didn't take long  :)

I'm not going deep into this (so he says) so want to keep the software free. I'm thinking that means either Kicad or EasyEDA. Kicad seems to have a larger community.

As far as single vs. double sided, I think that's my lack of understanding. If I want to do a typical design of components on one side of the board, pots on the other (solder) side, is that considered one or two sided?

Thanks,
J

bartimaeus

Quote from: Toy Sun on January 24, 2023, 09:17:32 PM
Thanks all,
My fab house of choice has been (up to now) pcbway. Probably stick with them. I knew this would turn into a "what software" discussion, that didn't take long  :)

I'm not going deep into this (so he says) so want to keep the software free. I'm thinking that means either Kicad or EasyEDA. Kicad seems to have a larger community.

As far as single vs. double sided, I think that's my lack of understanding. If I want to do a typical design of components on one side of the board, pots on the other (solder) side, is that considered one or two sided?

Thanks,
J

one-sided PCBs have copper, traces, and pads only on one side. two-sided PCBs have them on both sides. in theory, you can solder components on both sides when using a one-sided PCB.

1-layer PCBs used to be significantly cheaper than 2-layer. i think it may also be easier to etch your own 1-layer PCBs. however, these days you need to go out of your way to order a 1-layer PCB, all the websites are set to 2-layer by default. so even if you route all your traces on one side of the board, i'd recommend going for 2-layer. you can use the back layer as a ground plane.

PRR

> I knew this would turn into a "what software" discussion...

Sharpie is all you need.
  • SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Hi,
Most fabs have their capabilities listed somewhere.

For example: https://jlcpcb.com/capabilities/pcb-capabilities

You can, but shouldn't push the limits. It's easier to get a defective board near the limits. .25mm, or 10mil is larger than what they do (0.2mm) but still pretty small, for example.