TL72IP or TL72CP question, and popping apostle.

Started by eh la bas ma, January 25, 2023, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 25, 2023, 04:53:18 PM
C = Commercial (std temp range)
I = Industrial   (wide temp range)
M = Military (wider temp range)

Other specs can vary for M.
Just for completeness, you sometimes see "E" for "Extended" too. That sits between I and M.

antonis

Quote from: eh la bas ma on February 08, 2023, 02:57:57 AM
I tried to add a 10n film cap as described in reply #16. I desoldered the legs circled in blue, and soldered a cap on the legs, leaving the pads empty :

I have a signal in bypass, it shuts down when the effect is engaged, unfortunately no sound.

A close photo of your build (both PCB sides) should help a lot.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quote from: FiveseveN on February 08, 2023, 02:36:31 AM

I mean—technically yes but it's much easier to say it blocks DC.

QuoteI looked for "input capacitor" on wikipedia
Try "coupling capacitor": http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-is-a-coupling-capacitor

a cap in series will block DC - so often a coupling cap is called a blocking cap.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

eh la bas ma

Quote from: antonis on February 08, 2023, 07:09:13 AM
A close photo of your build (both PCB sides) should help a lot.. :icon_wink:
Thank you, but I don't think pics will be needed. I fixed my mistake : The remaining R3 pcb-soldered leg is grounded, so I needed to add a jumper on the empty R3 pad to restaure the signal path... quite simple, let's say that I was probably tired last night.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can't really notice anything obvious differing from before, and I guess that's a good thing.

Edit: oh ! it sounds like the popping is much less audible, it's kind of silent now...  Aahyyaa ! Gloire ! Glory to Antonis !
Blocking DC is effective on popping noises in some cases, I guess ?

I noticed the volume pot is located before IC1 TL72 on schematics. I'm used to see Volume pots at the end of circuits. I wonder what's the function of IC1 ? Is it a cabsim circuit ?

"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

FSFX

Quote from: eh la bas ma on February 08, 2023, 06:20:23 PM
I wonder what's the function of IC1 ? Is it a cabsim circuit ?
IC1A is just a unity gain buffer between the volume potentiometer and the 'Sallen-Key' 4.82kHz lowpass filter implemented by IC1B.
Having the volume pot like that with the buffer and filter you have a very low output impedance and a high end cutoff frequency of almost 5kHz.

Rob Strand

QuoteHaving the volume pot like that with the buffer and filter you have a very low output impedance and a high end cutoff frequency of almost 5kHz.
FWIW, -3dB cut-off will end up lower than 4.82kHz, around 3.10kHz.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

FSFX

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 08, 2023, 06:51:06 PM
FWIW, -3dB cut-off will end up lower than 4.82kHz, around 3.10kHz.

As Rob says. 4.822kHz is the -6dB (half-voltage) cut-off point and around 3.1kHz is the -3dB (half-power) cut-off point.

If you are really interested, then here is the actual calculated response:

antonis

Quote from: eh la bas ma on February 08, 2023, 06:20:23 PM
Blocking DC is effective on popping noises in some cases, I guess ?

Actually, it's effective on more than just popping issues cases.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bartimaeus

Just be careful in case you buy the TL072H. Apparently the H version is noisier and might not even be JFET: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242526