question re reverse log pot

Started by m7b52000, February 08, 2023, 07:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7b52000

I have built a Vox Tonebender which is great. The Attack control (1k linear) is really only of use to me between about 8.5 and 10. Am I right in thinking that I could spread this out a bit by using a 1k reverse log pot?

thanks!

GibsonGM

I know that others have used a reverse log for the ToneBender and Fuzz Faces, with good results!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

abc1234

Yes, use a reverse log pot.
I always do.
They probably didn't exist back in the 60s,
because otherwise the makers would have used reverse log, too.
(And I hope this little poem has convinced you.)

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: abc1234 on February 10, 2023, 07:55:49 AM
Yes, use a reverse log pot.
I always do.
They probably didn't exist back in the 60s,
because otherwise the makers would have used reverse log, too.
Now this is an electrical book I can get into.
Included cartoons preferred.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Phend

Not funny, does this mean I have to replace all those qualified pots in the effects I have built ?
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Phend on February 10, 2023, 03:21:16 PM

Perfect  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Quote from: Phend on February 10, 2023, 03:21:16 PM
Not funny, does this mean I have to replace all those qualified pots in the effects I have built ?
Yes, immediately.

Kidding. Of course not. If you enjoy using the lower range more and you find it satisfactory, all is well!
The case where I find rev log MOST useful is in LFO applications, where specific fast ranges are difficult to obtain & replicate. Though like here, it has a place in distortion effects where the gain seems to jump on the CW end. Keep in mind other factors that may cause the signal to clip sooner, therefor having more control at the high-range is preferred.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me