Pulling my hair out with a board that does not function when wired to box

Started by Badcircuit, February 09, 2023, 04:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

Warm battery = short.  If this works on battery alone, but has started when you put in the DC jack, well...I suspect the DC jack. Can you use a meter to check for short or low ohms between + and - ?   Can you use the continuity function of your meter to 'zap out' and confirm you have the tabs wired up correctly on the DC jack?    I thought the document I linked to showed how it works...(?)   Why 2 black wires to gnd lug of DC jack?

When you insert a plug into the DC jack, an internal switch disconnects the battery - you need to be sure that is happening, wires may be in the wrong places. Then confirm continuity to the board...if there is a short between gnd and + at the jack (or anywhere else), the battery will get warm and discharge.    I know it seems like a mystical unfindable problem, but it is probably something like that, VERY simple, you just have to trace it out!  :)    Look at your power wires and the diagram for a while, see if something starts to jump out at you...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Badcircuit

Thank you Gibson, you've been very helpful.  I will look at the document again.  I truly appreciate all of your help with this.

GibsonGM

YW. If you go slow and literally trace it wire by wire, you'll likely get it working!!  That DC jack can be a pain.  With nothing plugged in, power flows thru it from battery to the PCB.     With a plug in, the battery line is switched OPEN, and the power flows from plug out to the PCB.   It's figuring out the relationship (shown in the PDF!) that is key...
Doesn't mean there isn't a short elsewhere, tho!  ;) a meter is your friend...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Badcircuit

Hi Guys,

Still trying to tackle the power problems with this pedal.  I have an interesting dichotomy.  When the pedal is on its 9 volt battery, the pedal powers on with the foot switch.  However, plug it into a wall wart and the pedal will not come on.  I know the adapter is good.  So what could that be? 

Thanks!!