Morley Bad horsie boost mod

Started by mr.death, February 14, 2023, 12:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.death

Hello, I want too add a boost to my bad horsie wah so when it engages I get a slight increase in volume so leads jump out. I dont like having to step on my boost pedal then wah, rather just have the wah volume increase when in use. Ive modded pedals in the past as well as guitar amps so the work is not an issue.  Anyone have a schematic or have done this mod? THanks

stallik

Is this a Bad Horsie 1 or 2 and just how much of a boost do you need?
I have a V1 to which, some years ago, I added volume, sweep and Q controls. For me, the volume mod goes from too quiet to too loud but I'm aiming for about unity gain, not a solo boost.

My documentation is incomplete (as usual) so I'll have to trace the mod if you think that would be useful
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

mr.death

Bad Horsie 1...any help and schemamtics would be helpful. Looking for a 5 db boost, or close to that. Please..

stallik

Conveniently, the board is well marked. R12 is 68k. Lower values should give you more oomph. I'm not sure how low you can go before introducing issues but fwiw, I have 56k in series with a 50k pot. That gives me the range described above.

If you were to tack a 300k resistor across the existing 68k, that would give you around 56k for a quick audition without removing the board. 200k would drop the total to 50k. Easy way to try it without doing any damage except a couple of solder blobs on the resistor legs
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

mr.death

Great, I have alligator clips to do this nice n quick. Thanks again

mr.death

Worked out, I get a tiny bump in volume. Still works as it should with no negative effects on tone. Next I may use a pot instead of the resistor in parallel to dial in the needed bump in volume.. Thanks.