News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

classes??

Started by robbroncs, February 15, 2023, 04:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbroncs

ok. i'm sure many people have asked where to learn the basics of how components talk to each other and such.

But i'm terrible with understanding things by just reading.  hands on, however, i excel at picking things up awfully quick.  I've tried reading many things online.  but it simply doesn't absorb.

So far, I've gone from kits; to having my own stockpile of parts to populate premade PCBs, and a drill press for enclosures.  i've completed over 40 pedals by now.  it's so addicting.  but i think i'm at the point where i really want to learn it.

i'm not looking to go back to college and dump a ton of money on a hobby.  but was wondering if there is a place where i can get step by step tutorials.  video or in person.  I'm in northern NJ

appreciate any advice

GibsonGM

Hi Robb, welcome to the forum!    Have you tried Youtube?  I've found many topic-oriented vids on there that have been really helpful, like "basic opamp circuits" "Designing transistor amplifiers".   Some are for beginners, and some are quite advanced - take your pick.

EEV Blog on there is really good!  And of course, each vid has those suggestions on the side that you can scroll thru.   

So that's one source, I'm sure others have some they'll offer, too!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluebunny

Another vote for EEVBlog (YT channel here).  The op amp one is famous and a rite of passage (video #600).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

FSFX

This is pretty good.

ANALOG DEVICES ELECTRONICS COURSES:
These cover the physics and operation of semiconductor diodes, bipolar junction transistors, and field-effect transistors in
simple analogue circuits. They cover amplifier biasing, small-signal analysis, and frequency response as well as elementary
bipolar and MOSFET digital circuits, analogue-to-digital and digital-to-analogue conversion:

Electronics Course Wiki: https://wiki.analog.com/university/courses/electronics

And this TI site will tell you all you ever need to know about op amps:

https://training.ti.com/ti-precision-labs-op-amps

Ripthorn

I've been making a series of videos about understanding the building blocks of guitar effects and how to design them. I'm not an EE expert, but the videos are designed for people who are just starting to get into schematics and the like. I walk through several popular circuits explaining what the parts do at a relatively high level. Here's one, for example.

Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

ThePracticalPeasant

Not audio specific, but I found Big Clive really helpful. He tears apart and modifies all sorts of reasonably simple electronic circuits, plenty of basics delivered with some humour.

GibsonGM

Good point, Practical...I started off making small SW radios, actually.  LEDs, 'christmas tree' circuits and the like.   

Then came THE INTERNET, and pedals that were always out of my price range became AVAILABLE, if you could build them!    So - I found this forum, and build them I did!   Most 'basic electronics' can lead us to audio stuff that we do here, and all of it is valuable.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

robbroncs

thank you for everything so far.  appreciate all of you!!

BubbaFet

No...not for me. I can see just fine without them.   :o

BubbaFet

All kidding aside, an excellent stompbox specific learning written source is the appendicies of The Stompbox Cookbook, which you can locate a .pdf of for free out there in hyperspace. Lots of concise insight to go along with your video lessons.

https://www.diyschematics.com/schematics/picture.php?/6477/recent_pics