Reverb build question

Started by liagasg, February 20, 2023, 03:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 22, 2023, 12:02:27 PM
So no love for the FV-1 then?  :(

It's simple to use and does a much better job than the PT2399. There are plenty of commercial reverb pedals out there using it, and there's some fancy shimmer reverbs and such like too. The circuit required is hardly more complicated than a single PT2399, especially if you're happy with the factory reverb programs. Even if you're not, add one more 8-pin chip. PedalPCB lists a load:

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/reverb/

This is what we can observe in an EHX Oceans 11 :

Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like FV-1 ?

This one sounds much better and a bit more realistic than the Spatialist reverb with PPCB EEPROM and custom algorythms. At least in my humble experience. I found the internal FV-1 reverb patches effective but quite bland and unrealistic, PPCB patches are a step forward but not as good as the EHX Ocean 11, in my opinion.

But maybe when you know how to create your own programs, there are no limits to FV-1 ? Maybe it's just a matter of time and effort spent on code lines, and maybe some PPCB programs just aren't bringing the best possibilities from the FV-1 ?
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

ElectricDruid

No, there are definite limits to the FV-1. It only has a certain amount of memory and processing power, and programs can only be 128 instructions long. So it's a very simple DSP. It manages to do a lot more than the specs suggest because it's cunningly optimised for the jobs it was designed to do. It also includes on-chip stereo ADC and DACs, and RAM, all of which makes it exceptionally easy to use. It's still much better than a few PT2399's trying to fake reverb, and it's cheaper than a proper spring reverb tank.

But up against even a lower-end Analog Devices DSP chip with a bag of external RAM, like in that Oceans 11 pedal? No competition!

Ripthorn

Quote from: eh la bas ma on February 23, 2023, 11:57:00 AM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 22, 2023, 12:02:27 PM
So no love for the FV-1 then?  :(

It's simple to use and does a much better job than the PT2399. There are plenty of commercial reverb pedals out there using it, and there's some fancy shimmer reverbs and such like too. The circuit required is hardly more complicated than a single PT2399, especially if you're happy with the factory reverb programs. Even if you're not, add one more 8-pin chip. PedalPCB lists a load:

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/reverb/

This is what we can observe in an EHX Oceans 11 :

Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like FV-1 ?

This one sounds much better and a bit more realistic than the Spatialist reverb with PPCB EEPROM and custom algorythms. At least in my humble experience. I found the internal FV-1 reverb patches effective but quite bland and unrealistic, PPCB patches are a step forward but not as good as the EHX Ocean 11, in my opinion.

But maybe when you know how to create you own programs, there are no limits to FV-1 ? Maybe it's just a matter of time and effort spent on code lines, and maybe some PPCB programs just aren't bringing the best possibilities from the FV-1 ?

Looks like the AD BlackFin DSP. It's a good chip.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home