Nurse Quacky sensitivity control removal

Started by Ell, February 20, 2023, 08:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ell

I have a Nurse Quacky with no attack control, I went with just a 100R resistor like the original Dr Quack. I'm now also tempted to ditch the sensitivity control and just try to control it with my guitar's volume knob. Has anyone done this? I'm guessing that I need to put a 100k resistor from input to ground, and then just bridge the input with where pin 2 of the pot would go. Is this right? Am I going to miss much by doing this? I just want a nice simple version of the pedal

Ell

ElectricDruid

The Sensitivity changes the level going to the sidechain alone, so the volume knob on your guitar isn't exactly equivalent. It'll change the level going through the rest of the circuit as well.

You might be lucky and find that with the volume through the pedal set about as loud as you want it, the sensitivity is about right. But then again, you might not.

I'd recommend at least doing some experiments with a sensitivity control first, just tacked on with wires if you don't want it permanently. Get it set where you need it with your guitar and the volume level you like to use, and then unsolder it and measure it and use fixed resistors to replace it instead.

RickL

Or replace it with a trim pot. It won't take up any more real estate on the front panel but you'll be able to change it if you want without getting your soldering iron out.

I'd do the same thing with the attack pot if it was me, and I wanted fewer knobs.

Ell

Seems to be working nicely for me. I did have a sensitivity pot before, but I'm pretty happy with my minimalist wah now.

I thought I was having a problem, but it seems that my problem was another pedal.
Has anyone noticed this:
I had an MXR Distortion + completely stock in my chain after the wah. This completely ruined the wah effect. I thought there was something wrong. It is totally farty with an MXR in the chain after it, whether the D+ is turned off or on. I removed it, or placed a buffer before it (throwing a boss pedal in between) and the problem goes away completely. I've never seen this happen before. Are there any easy fixes for this? Or should I just ditch the stock MXR with terrible bypass, and use my true bypass clone?