Fuzz Face super loud even at minimum volume

Started by slowpogo, February 27, 2023, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpogo

I built an original circuit Fuzz Face using the following guide:

https://tonefiend.com/wp-content/uploads/Fuzz%20Face%20Build_v02.pdf

Everything works and sounds great...except the volume knob (500kA) doesn't seem to minimize volume.

The volume pot seems functional, I measure 500k across the output when at 0%. But the volume only goes from REALLY LOUD to ATOMIC LOUD.  I need to put something after it set way below unity gain, just to use the Fuzz Face without destroying ears/amp.

Any immediate thoughts on this situation?

Dormammu

Plug in another pot 10-200K.
Photos are helpful, if posted.

antonis

If loudness is the issue, make Volume pot 100k ..
(or place a resistor of 100k say between R3/R4 junction and C2..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GGBB

The volume pot in that circuit should let you turn down to zero. If that isn't working, then you have either a bad pot or a build error. Did you deviate from the schematic and build guide in any way?
  • SUPPORTER

slowpogo

Thanks everyone, turns out it was a bad pot. Not sure what happened to it but I simply replaced with another A500k pot, and the volume works great now.

HOWEVER...now I'm getting a "pop" when turning on/off.

I've got some 2.2M resistors, should I add a pull down resistor? where would be best?

bluebunny

Quote from: slowpogo on February 27, 2023, 06:28:41 PM
HOWEVER...now I'm getting a "pop" when turning on/off.

I've got some 2.2M resistors, should I add a pull down resistor? where would be best?

From C1+ to GND.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: slowpogo on February 27, 2023, 04:19:58 PM
I built an original circuit Fuzz Face using the following guide:

https://tonefiend.com/wp-content/uploads/Fuzz%20Face%20Build_v02.pdf

Everything works and sounds great...except the volume knob (500kA) doesn't seem to minimize volume.

The volume pot seems functional, I measure 500k across the output when at 0%. But the volume only goes from REALLY LOUD to ATOMIC LOUD.  I need to put something after it set way below unity gain, just to use the Fuzz Face without destroying ears/amp.

Any immediate thoughts on this situation?

10 bucks says no connection between pin one of the volume pot and ground.

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

^^ In which case, the link between rows L and M is missing?  Got a photo of your build?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

I'd have to argue with both Jimmy and Marc.. :icon_wink:

In case of not grounded pot, 500k (Volume set at min) should be more than enough to cause a significant volume drop by forming a voltage divider with amp input impedance..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

pinkjimiphoton

nope.
try it. seen this happen a few times with builds by that douche i used to work for. a variable resistance will have some effect, but without the ground connection? do just what he says. too loud and ungodly loud. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

antonis