Volume loss after adding BMP tone stack to Fuzz Circuit

Started by BennyBoy, March 01, 2023, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyBoy

Quote from: Dormammu on March 01, 2023, 12:43:39 PM
Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 01, 2023, 12:32:39 PM
C2 was in the original fuzz that I based this of off, but that fuzz had no tone control. When I built this without the tone control (or the 3rd gain stage) that capacitor kept the tone much more low end oriented, but perhaps I don't need this with the BMP tone stack.

What do you mean about T3? That was also in the original fuzz circuit that I based this off of.
In this application, T3 cuts off one halfwave of the signal, like a diode.

So T3 is there for clipping?
There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

antonis

What do you mean about T3? That was also in the original fuzz circuit that I based this off of.

Could you plz post a schematic (or a link) of the original circuit..?? :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 01, 2023, 03:03:38 PM

Could you plz post a schematic (or a link) of the original circuit..?? :icon_wink:

Here it is!

There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

antonis

Ahaaa..!!! We're talking about Devi Ever Hyperion Fuzz.. :icon_wink:
(your Tina-TI schematic confused me a bit..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 01, 2023, 04:12:10 PM
Ahaaa..!!! We're talking about Devi Ever Hyperion Fuzz.. :icon_wink:
(your Tina-TI schematic confused me a bit..)

Yep! Sorry, I am new to using programs to draw circuits.

antonis

Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 01, 2023, 04:13:45 PM
Sorry, I am new to using programs to draw circuits.

On the contrary, I'm the one who oughts to apologize.. :icon_redface:

BennyBoy

Thanks again for the help! Do you have any other suggestions about how to maybe improve the circuit? I'm hoping to build it this Friday when my parts come in!

antonis

Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 01, 2023, 05:27:14 PM
Do you have any other suggestions about how to maybe improve the circuit?

Only minor ones..

You see, "improvements" in such kind og circuits are of strictly personal taste.. :icon_wink:

duck_arse

a Devi Ever design - can't believe there is still some [old hands] here can't recognise when they pop up.

I'd like to point out there is a DC path to ground through the added on tone section, a cap added after R5 and in series with R7/C4 would clear the problem, but it hasn;t been mentioned by the others, so, carry on!

and another welcome.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

BennyBoy

Quote from: duck_arse on March 02, 2023, 08:28:21 AM
a Devi Ever design - can't believe there is still some [old hands] here can't recognise when they pop up.

I'd like to point out there is a DC path to ground through the added on tone section, a cap added after R5 and in series with R7/C4 would clear the problem, but it hasn;t been mentioned by the others, so, carry on!

and another welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, duck! Sorry, I am a bit of a newbie, but you mean adding the cap would negate the need for the muff output section, or do you mean in conjunction with that?

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 02, 2023, 06:17:52 AM
Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 01, 2023, 05:27:14 PM
Do you have any other suggestions about how to maybe improve the circuit?

Only minor ones..

You see, "improvements" in such kind og circuits are of strictly personal taste.. :icon_wink:

Thanks a ton, antonis! will try this out on the breadboard tomorrow!

antonis

Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 02, 2023, 11:41:07 AM
you mean adding the cap would negate the need for the muff output section, or do you mean in conjunction with that?

Stephen means that DC across P2 might cause crackling issues..

A cap, either between R5 & C4/R7 junction or between R6 and GND, of value much bigger than the bigger of C4 & C5 should block DC coming from R5/T2/T3 Collectors..

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 02, 2023, 01:10:13 PM
you mean adding the cap would negate the need for the muff output section, or do you mean in conjunction with that?

Stephen means that DC across P2 might cause crackling issues..

A cap, either between R5 & C4/R7 junction or between R6 and GND, of value much bigger than the bigger of C4 & C5 should block DC coming from R5/T2/T3 Collectors..

Thanks a ton! Just for learning purposes, what are the functions of the cap and resistor you suggested adding?

antonis

We proposed a cap only.. :icon_wink:
(resistors mentioned are there already..)

You can place the cao at any convenient point across the red line..
(as said above, it will block DC flowing through P2 - same happens with C1, C3 & C6..)

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 02, 2023, 04:46:29 PM
We proposed a cap only.. :icon_wink:
(resistors mentioned are there already..)

You can place the cao at any convenient point across the red line..
(as said above, it will block DC flowing through P2 - same happens with C1, C3 & C6..)

Sorry, should have been clearer, I was referring to C7 and R11 in your edited schematic!

antonis

They form a classic 1st order passive Low Pass Filter.. :icon_wink:
Its corner frequency (-3dB point) is calculated by the 1/2πRC formula..
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_2.html

They are needed 'cause power supply (not battery powered) can never be absolutely DC..
(in the mean of zero voltage variation..)
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

P.S.
R11 (series resistor) value is a compromise between affordable voltage drop across it (due to circuit current draw) and capacitor value (for a given corner frequency) from cost/space point of view..

antonis

Out of curiosity.. :icon_wink:

If you are not familiar with H/LPFs, how did you manage to get your own unique EQ values..??
(just by recklessly throwing caps and maintaining resistors..??) :icon_biggrin:

duck_arse

Quote from: duck_arse on March 02, 2023, 08:28:21 AM

and another welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, duck! Sorry, I am a bit of a newbie, but you mean adding the cap would negate the need for the muff output section, or do you mean in conjunction with that?

following on from my esteemed colleague [no, no, I mean antonis], a designer will carefully consider all the DC conditions needed for proper biasing a transistor stage and place resistors to produce those conditions. you come along and add a tone section with another DC path, and it will upset all the carefull considerations of the designer.

the values in your added path are way bigger than would produce a bias problem, probably, in most circuits, but in Devi Ever, or Death by Audio designs, you can never tell what is happening, or what might happen. good practise sez DC isolate the sections.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.