Volume loss after adding BMP tone stack to Fuzz Circuit

Started by BennyBoy, March 01, 2023, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 03, 2023, 04:10:02 AM
Out of curiosity.. :icon_wink:

If you are not familiar with H/LPFs, how did you manage to get your own unique EQ values..??
(just by recklessly throwing caps and maintaining resistors..??) :icon_biggrin:

I used the Tone Stack Calculator, changing the caps until I produced a flat EQ!
There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

antonis

Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 03, 2023, 09:12:17 AM

I presume you didn't alter standard TS Zin.. :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 03, 2023, 09:28:22 AM
Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 03, 2023, 09:12:17 AM

I presume you didn't alter standard TS Zin.. :icon_wink:

Yep, didn't change that. Although, I assume that default tone stack input impedance is what would be in a regular Muff circuit, and mine would likely be different?
There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

antonis

I was  refering on Zsrc (not Zin, by bad.. :icon_redface:) which is previous stage output impedance.. :icon_wink:
(roughly R5 value in your circuit..)

Strictly speaking, you should also replace R4 value in TS calculator (1M) with T4 stage input impedance..
(but it would only alter the dB attenuation..)

P.S.
Just for fun, make Zsrc 10k and R4 80k, to see what will happen.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

BennyBoy

Quote from: antonis on March 03, 2023, 09:41:22 AM
I was  refering on Zsrc (not Zin, by bad.. :icon_redface:) which is previous stage output impedance.. :icon_wink:
(roughly R5 value in your circuit..)

Strictly speaking, you should also replace R4 value in TS calculator (1M) with T4 stage input impedance..
(but it would only alter the dB attenuation..)

P.S.
Just for fun, make Zsrc 10k and R4 80k, to see what will happen.. :icon_wink:

Thanks again for all of the help! This has been great. This is literally the first circuit I've ever built or modded. I just got a breadboard like 2 weeks ago.

I own a shop that sells pedals, and I worked with Brian from Spruce Effects to develop a pedal idea I had been kicking around for a long time, which turned into this - https://soulcitysound.com/pages/excalibur - and that's what ended up giving me the "bug" to start trying to build pedals myself. I had ideas for stuff I'd like to see as a player, and I figured, why not learn myself? When describing the changes to the circuit I wanted in terms of sound, I also ended up realizing that I was actually really interested in how these changes were made to the circuit.

Sorry if my newbie questions have been annoying! I can already tell this is a great community here.

antonis

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 01, 2023, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: antonis on March 01, 2023, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: EvilEyeFX on March 01, 2023, 09:40:27 AM
a BMP tone stack with my own unique values for EQ,

Could you plz elaborate those values..??
(mainly for resistors..)

Or better, a complete schematic of your build..??

Here's a schematic of my build, sorry it's not very clean, did it in a hurry.

me? i'd probably try moving that tone stack to where ya got c3 now. should have plenty of gain on tap still, and you can shape the first stage with it that way and still slam the bejesus out of the second stage.
boom.
i've built a few circuits similar to this like that, and tho it sounds weird, it works pretty good. you may need to adjust a resistor value or two, but there's tools right here on the analog alchemy part of the site that you can use.

ever think about adding a secondary mid pot to that big muff tone stack? it can add a LOT of versatility... if ya put the tone stack in the middle, should definitely still have plenty of nards, with them directly coupled e's.... should be brutal loud and nasty!

:icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

just the way i likes it...

rock on brother.. i bet it sounds great. ;)
got any clips?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

stan-thomas

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 06, 2023, 12:37:31 PM

i've built a few circuits similar to this like that, and tho it sounds weird, it works pretty good. you may need to adjust a resistor value or two, but there's tools right here on the analog alchemy part of the site that you can use.

It's a brilliant idea. Which EQ do you think would generally work best with Devi circuits? BMP? Tilt? or any other?  Like you said, there is anyway tons of gain.