Do I have an issue with my Thunderbird LT1054?

Started by masterlk, March 04, 2023, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterlk

Hi all - I built the Thunderbird a while back and had no issues, it seemed to work as normal. I moved on to other gain pedals but was thinking recently that I never checked the voltages of the IC's and LT1054. Example of my readings would be IC1 pin 1 build doc shows 12.23v and mine is 11.99v and it trends that way for IC1, 2 & 3 throughout all pins. Which I assume is ok? However, the build doc for the LT1054 shows pin3, 4 & 5 at zero v and my readings are:

pin1 9.05v
pin2 4.85v
Pin3 1.0v
pin4 8.0v
pin5 .7v

pin6 2.55v
pin7 1.4v
pin8 9.06v

build doc here
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0022/3952/9069/files/Thunderbird-1-18-15.pdf?14931847358987224012

I am a newb at electronics so there may be something obvious that I am just not aware of but in looking at the schematic pin4 doesn't appear to be connected to anything so why would I be getting 8v there? My deviations from the build are that I left off the Q1(jump'd the outer legs) and R35 & R36. I swapped out the LT1054 for a spare that I have  but got a similar reading. Any thoughts? While building I measured all caps and resistors. Is it possible that I have a solder bridge under the LT1054 socket? One other thing I noticed in the second picture just above the 1776 logo I scraped the board while folding the legs of the pot not deep but enough that I can see a bit of copper below, should I drop a bit of nail polish or paint on that?

blackieNYC

Pin 4 is part of the internal circuit, whether we connect it or not. I would think it has a voltage on it.

Is the pedal working well?

The exposed copper is fine - if the connection is still intact.  Are there tears in the copper if you look thru a magnifier? Do you have a voltmeter?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Rob Strand

It would help if you posted links to the build doc.

The charge pumps aren't regulated if the 9V rail in the build doc is different to your test results you will get slightly different voltages.  On top of that you can get variations from chip to chip.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

masterlk

Thanks for jumping in guys. Here is the build doc. The only readings on my meter that are different than the build doc is pins 3,4,5 of the LT1054. It seems to be working fine, all the pots respond as normal. I did look at the scrape under a magnifying glass and that checks out fine.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0022/3952/9069/files/Thunderbird-1-18-15.pdf?14931847358987224012

Rob Strand

To me the first thing to sort out is why pin 3 isn't at 0V.  Pin 3 is ground, there's no reason for it not to be at 0V.

One possibility is you have a bad connection on the ground.

You might also find you get different reading depending on where exactly what point you place the meter -ve on ground and the meter +ve on pin 3.  It should all be 0V, or *very* close to it.   The points with significant voltage between any two ground points means there's something wrong on the ground in between those two probe points.

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

masterlk

Ok, I went probing and checked different ground points on those pins. I have made a mistake in my readings...my pins 3,4 & 5 are mV not V. I feel like a heel.  :icon_redface:  I have taken those readings 10 times...I never noticed. Sorry guys and thanks for taking a look.

Rob Strand

QuoteOk, I went probing and checked different ground points on those pins. I have made a mistake in my readings...my pins 3,4 & 5 are mV not V. I feel like a heel.  :icon_redface:  I have taken those readings 10 times...I never noticed. Sorry guys and thanks for taking a look.
No problem it's easy to do - all sorted out!