24LC32A burned Rom with Pickit2, Successful, but doesn't work

Started by tony311, March 04, 2023, 05:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony311

Hello, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I have been following a lot of the threads about Pickit2 and rom burning.

I put together a very basic Vero Board with an ic socket to burn 24LC32A's. I found the diagram somewhere on here.

Anyway, It all works when I burn the rom from a HEX file converted in Spin, it states its successful. When I plug the burned rom into somthing like the Headspin2 or Arachnid, I get no effects. I get sound, but no effects on any of the switch selections.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong or missing??

niektb

Ice-9

Do you have your HEX file available as I can test it works using a 24lc32 and FV-1.
How have you generated the HEX file?  SpinASM creates the HEX of the effects and saves it in the folder 'HEXOUT'. Do you have external EEPROM pin selected on your effects pedal circuit? 
After programming the EEPROM with Pickit2 verify the chip has actually programmed. Read the chip back and verify with the HEX file to check also.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

tony311

tony311

Quote from: niektb on March 05, 2023, 05:59:34 AM
Hi! Have you had the FV-1 working before?

Yes the FV1 works with a purchased rom so I know that part is ok.

tony311

Quote from: Ice-9 on March 05, 2023, 10:17:48 AM
Do you have your HEX file available as I can test it works using a 24lc32 and FV-1.
How have you generated the HEX file?  SpinASM creates the HEX of the effects and saves it in the folder 'HEXOUT'. Do you have external EEPROM pin selected on your effects pedal circuit? 
After programming the EEPROM with Pickit2 verify the chip has actually programmed. Read the chip back and verify with the HEX file to check also.

I am using Headtrip 2 which I built up and tested. So I do have the circuit for that.... I have read the eprom back with success but I don't know how to tell if it is the same.

I cant work out how to attach the file. I see how to attach images, but not a file? Sorry fairly new to this forum.

Rob Strand

QuoteI have read the eprom back with success but I don't know how to tell if it is the same

I use don't that software but often you can "verify" the read back data against with the master file, *without programming*.   If you do that to the working device and non-working device and it passes then both devices must be correct.

Check your power supply is 2.5V or greater on the target board.

QuoteI cant work out how to attach the file. I see how to attach images, but not a file? Sorry fairly new to this forum.
You can attach files using the + "Attachments and other options"  option on the forum.  If the file is rejected add .txt to the extension.   People can change it back to read it.   There is a size limit on the attachment.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

tony311

Quote from: Rob Strand on March 05, 2023, 06:08:19 PM
QuoteI have read the eprom back with success but I don't know how to tell if it is the same

I use don't that software but often you can "verify" the read back data against with the master file, *without programming*.   If you do that to the working device and non-working device and it passes then both devices must be correct.

Check your power supply is 2.5V or greater on the target board.

QuoteI cant work out how to attach the file. I see how to attach images, but not a file? Sorry fairly new to this forum.
You can attach files using the + "Attachments and other options"  option on the forum.  If the file is rejected add .txt to the extension.   People can change it back to read it.   There is a size limit on the attachment.

That will only allow me to add attachments that are images. ie: jpg,tif,png. It will not accept txt or hex.

Another quick question, as I am new to burning a rom, I am just using the simple vero with the resistor and correct wiring connected straight up to the Pickit2. Does the FV1 need to be on this circuit somewhere as well??? I don't think it does, I am just a little confused when I read other forum answers and questions.

Rob Strand

That will only allow me to add attachments that are images. ie: jpg,tif,png. It will not accept txt or hex.
When I post I get these option:
"Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, diy, mp4, m4v
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 256KB, maximum individual size 256KB"

I attached a .txt file to this post.

Another quick question, as I am new to burning a rom, I am just using the simple vero with the resistor and correct wiring connected straight up to the Pickit2. Does the FV1 need to be on this circuit somewhere as well??? I don't think it does, I am just a little confused when I read other forum answers and questions.
I don't have the details on your programmer.   

A stand-alone programmer usually works without any target device or board being present.  I'm presuming the programmer has its own power source.   The chips are only I2C so stand-alone programming is certainly possible using a simple programmer.

Some programmers program *in-circuit* and the target PCB has addition circuits for programming, and usually a special programming connector to connect an external programmer.  Even then it doesn't need the target processor present - although the extra programming circuit might disable or disconnect the target device during programming.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

tony311

Quote from: Rob Strand on March 05, 2023, 07:07:22 PM
When I post I get these option:
"Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, diy, mp4, m4v
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 256KB, maximum individual size 256KB"

I attached a .txt file to this post.

I don't have the details on your programmer.   

A stand-alone programmer usually works without any target device or board being present.  I'm presuming the programmer has its own power source.   The chips are only I2C so stand-alone programming is certainly possible using a simple programmer.

Some programmers program *in-circuit* and the target PCB has addition circuits for programming, and usually a special programming connector to connect an external programmer.  Even then it doesn't need the target processor present - although the extra programming circuit might disable or disconnect the target device during programming.

That is good to know and yes the board has a 5V supply. It all states it has programmed succesfully. I am only interested in burning 24cl32a so that is what the circuit is wired for. I found the circuit on this forum after trying several others unsuccesfully. Just reading the help on the forum, it states to attach a file, I must have it turned on??? I have worked with computers for years now, and I am at a loss to know why I cant do this. When I select the + sign The ONLY option I get is to attache an image.

Rob Strand

QuoteThat is good to know and yes the board has a 5V supply. It all states it has programmed succesfully. I am only interested in burning 24cl32a so that is what the circuit is wired for.
I guess the question is what does "successfully" mean.  It could mean it send the data to the device or it could read back and compare. I'm always a little skeptical of programmers, especially if it's not clear the programmer does actually read the data.  If you see an option "program and verify" then it's fairly clear there is a separate verify step, but if it's just program then you don't really know.

QuoteI have worked with computers for years now, and I am at a loss to know why I cant do this. When I select the + sign The ONLY option I get is to attache an image.
That happens to me sometimes as well!   It's possible I've got extra privileges because I'm an old-timer here.

What I see on the post screen is:

Text box to enter the post text.
  Under the text box is two options:
  [P]  Add image to post
  [ + ]  Attachments and other options

In order to attach the .txt file I have to use last option "[ + ]  Attachments and other options"

tony311

Quote from: Rob Strand on March 05, 2023, 07:50:51 PM
QuoteThat is good to know and yes the board has a 5V supply. It all states it has programmed succesfully. I am only interested in burning 24cl32a so that is what the circuit is wired for.
I guess the question is what does "successfully" mean.  It could mean it send the data to the device or it could read back and compare. I'm always a little skeptical of programmers, especially if it's not clear the programmer does actually read the data.  If you see an option "program and verify" then it's fairly clear there is a separate verify step, but if it's just program then you don't really know.

QuoteI have worked with computers for years now, and I am at a loss to know why I cant do this. When I select the + sign The ONLY option I get is to attache an image.
That's happens to me sometimes as well!   It's possible I've got extra privileges because I'm old-timer here.

What I see on the post screen is:

Text box to enter the post text.
  Under the text box is two options:
  [P]  Add image to post

•   Attachments and other options

In order to attach the .txt file I have to use last option "
  •   Attachments and other options"
Ok that makes sense. I do not get those options. Only images..... I do have a verify and programme option. I will give that a try. I will let you know.. Thanks for your time.

Rob Strand

No problem. 

FYI, I reformatted the text in my last post. The forum translated the [ + ]  into an indent.
It's a graphic, "+" symbol under the "P" from the previous line.

Ice-9

When programming the 24LC32 are you using a genuine Pickit2 or a clone?  Also what software are you using with the Pickit2 ?

Something to check is that you have the 'write protect' pin of the EEPROM correctly set.
Do you have a diagram of how you are wiring the EEPROM to the Programmer.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

PRR

QuoteIt's possible I've got extra privileges because I'm an old-timer here.
  [ + ]  Attachments and other options
In order to attach the .txt file I have to use last option "[ + ]  Attachments and other options"

Yes, only a few hard-core old-timers have that option, to store files directly on Aron's forum server. I don't remember how we got that way.

For 'reasonable' amounts of ASCII code you can use the CODE tags, unconventional as that may seem.
{code} {/code} replace {} with [] .

PROGRAM Triangle
     IMPLICIT NONE
     REAL :: a, b, c, Area
     PRINT *, 'Welcome, please enter the&
              &lengths of the 3 sides.'
     READ *, a, b, c
     PRINT *, 'Triangle''s area:  ', Area(a,b,c)
    END PROGRAM Triangle
    FUNCTION Area(x,y,z)
     IMPLICIT NONE
     REAL :: Area            ! function type
     REAL, INTENT( IN ) :: x, y, z
     REAL :: theta, height
     theta = ACOS((x**2+y**2-z**2)/(2.0*x*y))
     height = x*SIN(theta); Area = 0.5*y*height
    END FUNCTION Area

When displayed, the [Select] link copies to clipboard so you can Paste into a file editor.
  • SUPPORTER

GuitarPhil

Some things to check:

• Have you got the correct I2C address Chip Select options set (A0, A1 and A2) to match how the pins are connected on your Veroboard?
  • Note the checksum that is shown when you load in your hex file
  • Read your previously programmed EEPROM back by clicking the Read button. It should give the same checksum if it was programmed correctly. Be aware that the programmer will 'read' the chip (all zeros will be read) even if you don't have one connected to the PICkit2!

tony311

Quote from: Rob Strand on March 05, 2023, 08:09:41 PM
No problem. 

FYI, I reformatted the text in my last post. The forum translated the [ + ]  into an indent.
It's a graphic, "+" symbol under the "P" from the previous line.

I forgot I can upload to my google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i-XVObySdwFDcXLYIQAxoQpi8l6LVz1S/view?usp=sharing

Further in the posts it suggests to check the A0 A1 boxes. So i need to figure this part out as well.

tony311

Quote from: GuitarPhil on March 07, 2023, 09:12:24 AM
Some things to check:

• Have you got the correct I2C address Chip Select options set (A0, A1 and A2) to match how the pins are connected on your Veroboard?
  • Read your previously programmed EEPROM back by clicking the Read button. It should give the same checksum if it was programmed correctly. Be aware that the programmer will 'read' the chip (all zeros will be read) even if you don't have one connected to the PICkit2!

When ever I check any of the A0 A1 A2, I get an I2C Bus Error. No matter how many of the three I check or what ever combination.

tony311

Quote from: tony311 on March 12, 2023, 06:10:55 PM
Quote from: GuitarPhil on March 07, 2023, 09:12:24 AM
Some things to check:

Sorry my first attempt to post didnt work. When I select any of the A options, I get an I2C error? The attached image is what I followed for the eprom vero.

When ever I check any of the A0 A1 A2, I get an I2C Bus Error. No matter how many of the three I check or what ever combination. This is what I followed to make the vero.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dzWOGRJ7tFTCjLmes0j6q4wDTAPYLx9b/view?usp=sharing

Ice-9

I have just had a look at your PCB board for the programmer adapter, it all looks correct and is very much the same as my oown adapter bpard.  It may seem a silly question but have you plugged in the Pickit2 programmer the right way around.
You could try and download a ready made known working hex file from SpinSemi to try, this way you can confirm that it is not the hex file that at fault.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk