Illuminated 3PDT switch bushing thread length

Started by Widows, March 07, 2023, 03:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widows

Hi everyone. I'm working with some of those illuminated 3PDT switches with the SMD LEDs mounted in the body of the switch that light up the washer when engaged.

I have noticed when installing them into the enclosure (approx 2-2.5mm aluminium) there's *very* little bushing thread left visible for the nut to grab onto compared to a regular 3PDT and it's quite difficult to get them on tight without the nut slipping the thread and coming loose again. I know this is due to the extra bit of plastic that houses the LED ring meaning the bushing doesn't poke out as much above the enclosure but I need to get the thread sat a little higher outside the top of the box so the nut can grip on a bit better and withstand a more robust press as they currently don't look like they'd stand up to much stomping.

I've tried filing down the flat bit of the washer (that sits on the surface of the enclosure) and that's improved things a little but I'd still like to get a bit more thread exposed. I was thinking maybe file down the top face on the body of the switch?

Has anyone had any successes with this? I'd be interested to hear whatcha done :)
Gibson SG > Dunlop Cry Baby > Sovtek Big Muff Pi (black) > Digitech Harmony Man > Matamp GT1 > Matamp 4x12 w/Celestion K100s

Kevin Mitchell

Still messing with these, huh?
Sadly there's not much you can do if that LED board is mounted on there.
Perhaps file down the diffusing collar? Not sure how that assembly works.

How about a nut that passes through the enclosure?
Like this;

Have to shop around. Don't yet know what they're called and have to make sure the threading is correct.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

mark2

I use these a lot, and simply omit the metal washer. This buys you enough extra room to get the nut threaded, then you can tighten it down a couple of turns, compressing the plastic.