News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Chug Fuzz

Started by Gorn, March 08, 2023, 07:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonis

IMHO, best fuzz is made by some cold joints inside power amp.. :icon_biggrin:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Gorn

Quote from: Phend on March 09, 2023, 05:13:20 PM
Whatever circuit you select to try, breadboard it first.
For sure, I had this experience to many times now! :D

Also you guys helped me to look at fuzzes and pedals differerently. I wondered why you recommended me so man classic circuits, I thought more modern fuzzes would fit my tonesearch better. But it makes a lot of sense, modern fuzzes are often very fat and doomy, which I also like, but not perfect for my current quest. Also I realized that there is not a demo that is a good representation of everything a pedal can do... And only because people predominantely use a fuzz for classic rock doesnt mean it can not melt face ;)

First thing I will do is look for mods for Russian Muff to get more gain and less bass while ideally keep the silky treble.
Then I will look for my Fuzz Factory and after that look into breadbording some Fuzz Face and Benders in the coming weeks. Still intruiged by the Opamp Muff, but I wont bb this one :D And Fancy Lime, your take is way to advanced for me I am sorry
She wanted nothing - and I delivered

Gorn

Quote from: antonis on March 10, 2023, 04:38:15 PM
Sounds great, what is the story behind it?

Fancy Lime

The main reason why there are so few recommendations for new fuzz circuits is that there are so few new fuzz circuits. The currently produced super awesome heavy chuggy never heard before mind blowing über fuzz pedals are, with very few exceptions, just slightly modded versions of the classic circuits from the 60s and 70s. When we say Fuzz Face here, we usually mean "the general topology that is most popularly associated with the Arbiter Fuzz Face but has been used by countless very different sounding fuzz pedals both before and after the Face". Same goes for all the other circuits. We tend to call circuits by the name of a specific, usually classic pedal that used and popularized that topology and general design but these can and are tuned to sound different in modern pedals. The most important (in terms of sheer number of clones and descendants) example is probably the Big Muff (transistor version).
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Phend

Quoteexample is probably the Big Muff (transistor version).
And like snowflakes no transistor is the same.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Gorn

If you look at it like that you call pedal by their "patriac", then you are absolitely right. If I rephrase it that way: I thougt there would be newer versions or relatives, that are more evoled in the direction I look for. Most pedals are just variations of well known designs, true, but in some cases the new product is different enough. For example I would not recommend just a Big Muff when I mean a Pharaoh or of a Super Fuzz when I mean a Hyperfuzz. So yeah, the way I phrased it was not clear  :icon_redface:

Phend

OK, bottom line is you never have enough Fuzzes. Tranny, ic, triple tranny or electra.
Time to build them all.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER+

Gorn

: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
And my poor girl thinks they all sound the same :o

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 11, 2023, 04:30:28 PM
We tend to call circuits by the name of a specific, usually classic pedal that used and popularized that topology and general design but these can and are tuned to sound different in modern pedals.
This is completely true, but I always felt it did a bit of disservice to the Boss OD-1, since we almost always call that design a "tubescreamer" pedal, but the truth is that the OD-1 did it first. But the key word in Lime's sentence here is "popularized" and in that case, the "tubescreamer" name for this group starts to make more sense. Being first isn't always enough.

Sorry, you can go back to the topic at hand now... ;)

Fancy Lime

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 12, 2023, 03:51:11 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 11, 2023, 04:30:28 PM
We tend to call circuits by the name of a specific, usually classic pedal that used and popularized that topology and general design but these can and are tuned to sound different in modern pedals.
This is completely true, but I always felt it did a bit of disservice to the Boss OD-1, since we almost always call that design a "tubescreamer" pedal, but the truth is that the OD-1 did it first. But the key word in Lime's sentence here is "popularized" and in that case, the "tubescreamer" name for this group starts to make more sense. Being first isn't always enough.

Sorry, you can go back to the topic at hand now... ;)

Yepp, I did not chose the word "popularized" instead of "invented" for no reason. Although I was thinking of the Fuzz Face, which wasn't the first to use the "Fuzz Face Topology" (the Sola Sound Tone Bender MK1.5 was the first to use it in a fuzz box, if I am informed correctly, but it was used in linear audio amplifiers much earlier).

Oh and one more thing, Gorn: a Pharaoh would probably be considered "yet another big muff" in the common jargon of this forum. I'm not saying that that is correct or that you should abide by that rule but it seems to be how most people here talk about these things (me included). More from a technical topology standpoint than from a sound design angle. Just mentioning that in case it helps you make the most sense of some of the replies here and an the forum in general.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

PRR

> the OD-1 did it first.

Like James Watt invented the steam engine. Musk invented the electric car. Shockley the transistor. Ford the automobile. Deere the steel plow and the tractor. Lest we forget: Al Gore invented the internet.

The "name" is as often wrong as it is right.
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

Quote from: PRR on March 12, 2023, 10:53:59 PM
> the OD-1 did it first.

Like James Watt invented the steam engine. Musk invented the electric car. Shockley the transistor. Ford the automobile. Deere the steel plow and the tractor. Lest we forget: Al Gore invented the internet.

The "name" is as often wrong as it is right.
The internet too? I only knew he invented the environment and the climate. Busy guy.

Also, never forget that Bill Gates invented computers and Nicola Tesla invented electricity. What woul we do without those!

Phend

^ Don't give credit to an engineer, Ben Franklin, a politician, invented electricity.
   Using a key and kite no less.
   And got his picture on the 100 dollar bill to boot. (Which I have never seen)
  • SUPPORTER+

duck_arse

please don't invoke Tesla. instead say Marconi invented radio, or like that.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: duck_arse on March 14, 2023, 09:44:35 AM
please don't invoke Tesla. instead say Marconi invented radio, or like that.
Then who invented the Macarena and macaroni?

GibsonGM

Everyone knows Edison invented them all  ;) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ElectricDruid

Crikey, this thread derailed faster than one of Robert Stephenson's new inventions!

PRR

Quote from: Gorn on March 11, 2023, 09:19:01 AM
Quote from: antonis on March 10, 2023, 04:38:15 PM
Sounds great, what is the story behind it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_FZ-1_Fuzz-Tone#Early_use_of_fuzz_effects
"In 1961, while recording the Marty Robbins song "Don't Worry", a fuzzy tone accidentally caused by a faulty preamplifier in the Quonset Hut Studio's mixing console distorted session musician Grady Martin's guitar part. Later that year Martin recorded an instrumental tune under his own name using the same faulty preamp. The song, released on the Decca label, was called "The Fuzz", and Martin is generally credited as the discoverer of the "fuzz effect." ..... the unique sound of the Quonset Hut's faulty mixing console channel rapidly became sought after in Nashville studios, but the transformer had failed completely,
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote^ Don't give credit to an engineer, Ben Franklin, a politician, invented electricity.
   Using a key and kite no less.
   And got his picture on the 100 dollar bill to boot. (Which I have never seen)
It depends what you call electricity.  I'd give it to Volta and Galvani.  Volta really, but driven by competition with Galvani.

Part 1 of this series was very interesting.  Especially how the structure of a battery stack was inspired by the pattern inside the (electric) Torpedo Fish.   That got them a *continuous* DC current.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

mac

Quotethe unique sound of the Quonset Hut's faulty mixing console channel rapidly became sought after in Nashville studios, but the transformer had failed completely,

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84