XLR A/B Switcher with Mute

Started by elbert013, March 09, 2023, 11:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elbert013

Hello All, I am a novice when it comes to building circuits so please go easy on the grade-school-looking drawing.

I am trying to build an A/B switcher that has a mute function. You would think this has been done but I have searched for hours trying to find one and have come up short. I did see a lot of forums for just an A/B switcher so I adopted some info from that. I just want someone to take a look at this schematic I drew up to see if it looks right.

The other image is basically what I want but made with 1/4 inch inputs. Again, I have seen this idea used on 1/4 inch but it is important in this case that it is XLR.

Thanks!

Rodgre

On first glance that looks good, as far as the switching is concerned but there are two other things to consider.

I was looking into something similar recently, just for the task of muting a mic when I wasn't singing.

There may be a need to put some sort of tie-down resistors to keep from "popping" when switching, but I am not sure what value or where it needs to go because I don't have the brain function to think about it just yet.

To that end, there is also the issue of whether you are passing phantom power (or need to).

Sorry I don't have an explanation for how to implement this at the moment, but if no one else responds with a better explanation, I will post a better reply later.

Good luck!
Roger

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Rodgre on March 10, 2023, 10:11:48 AM
There may be a need to put some sort of tie-down resistors to keep from "popping" when switching, but I am not sure what value or where it needs to go because I don't have the brain function to think about it just yet.
Agreed. 1M on the inputs should do it.

I would change the mute switch so that ground is on the center lugs so you're not grounding out the live signal at any time - the output will be 0v instead of floating. But I'm not sure if there's a common rule of thumb on this, just how I'd swing it.

Don't forget the negative lead of the mute LED.
Use a single resistor for each LED to power. With a shared supply as you've drawn you'll likely notice the brightness change when a 2nd LED is kicked on.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

elbert013

Okay, good to know I'm on the right track. Thank you for the reply.

I won't be using a mic that requires phantom power with this setup so that's not really a worry

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on March 10, 2023, 10:33:10 AM
Agreed. 1M on the inputs should do it.
[/quote] in my case

Kevin, in this case are you refering to a 1m resistor or building in a 1ms delay circuit. Thanks!

Kevin Mitchell

I was expanding on what Rodgre had suggested - placing a 1M resistor from the input signals to ground.
If you don't give current a place to go any capacitors on the source signals are left to hold a charge and they'll hold as much as they're warranted. When you instantly give that charge a place to go makes an audible popping. With a pulldown resistor it'll always have a place to go.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me