Mystery veroboard build

Started by cymazic, March 17, 2023, 07:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cymazic

Hi ,
    I recently received a box of unfinished builds and repairs from a house clearance of a sadly deceased ex-pedal builder.
Among them was this vero with (to me) an incredible amount of offboard wiring . I count around 11 opamps in the build , mostly 4558 and 741 type.
   I dont hold much hope of ever resurrecting this , but am pretty intrigued as to what it is/was/could have potentially been.
Sorry for the quality of the images but i had to borrow my missus'  phone as my old steam powered phone was such poor quality that I might as well have hand drawn a picture.
    Any clues?
                cheers
                        Maz

antonis

Judging from this very particular yellow wire, I'd say it could be almost anything.. :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

anotherjim

There's a certain side-by-side symmetry in places that suggest it's something stereo. Many opamps and lots of wires could mean it's an EQ of sorts possibly a magazine project.

cymazic

Quote from: antonis on March 18, 2023, 02:54:56 PM
Judging from this very particular yellow wire, I'd say it could be almost anything.. :icon_wink:

LOL ..  Yeah antonis , thats exactly what I deserved  putting up a low quality image of a scrambled mess heheh .
  It made it a little clearer when I realised that all of the Yellow wires were just on board hookups , so it just leaves about 500 other coloured wires for you all to use your valuable time trying to decipher . Not too big an ask from a poster with 5 posts to my name  surely?    ;)

Quote from: anotherjim on March 18, 2023, 03:55:21 PM
There's a certain side-by-side symmetry in places that suggest it's something stereo. Many opamps and lots of wires could mean it's an EQ of sorts possibly a magazine project.

Thankyou for your observation and suggestion AnotherJim . I see what you mean about a subtleish  symmetry .
I think I'll just be moving on now and this board can retain its identity for now and maybe I'll salvage some parts from it .

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply though , both of you .
            Cheers

ElectricDruid

I like the "stereo EQ" theory. There's basically no active parts aside form the op-amps - everything else is simple resistors and caps. No transistors or JFETs or anything. No CMOS. It's not a phaser or a flanger or a chorus, that's for sure.
And tons of external wires, which might suggest a lot of off-board controls that got snipped off. Like you'd have if you had dual-gang pots for stereo EQ.