3 way switching for dual effect

Started by Grubb, March 22, 2023, 06:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grubb

I am working on a pedal design for someone that involves both an octave-up circuit (Full Wave) and a boost. The idea would be to have a 3PDT footswitch for bypassing the pedal, and a toggle switch for selecting between octave, boost, and octave+boost modes.

For the life of me, I cannot work out how to route the switching to select between FX1, FX2 or FX1+2. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to figure this out? I keep finding order switching and other stuff I don't need when I search for a solution.

Thanks.

ElectricDruid

You need to think about what changes in each of the three modes. It could get quite involved.

Mode 1, FX1 Only:
Input -> FX1 -> Output

Mode 2, FX2 Only:
Input -> FX2 -> Output

Mode 3, FX1+FX2:
Input -> FX1 -> FX2 -> Output

I can see two ways of looking at this: What I'd call "looking forwards" and "looking backwards". Looking forwards is starting at the input, and seeing where you go next. For the input, in mode 0, it goes to the input of FX1, in mode 2 it goes to the input of FX2, and in mode 3 it goes to the input of FX1 again. Then you need to look at the outputs of each of those and see where they go. For FX1 output, in mode 0 it goes to the output, in mode 1 it goes nowhere, and in mode 3 it goes to the input of FX2. For the FX2 output, in mode 0 it goes nowhere, and in modes 2 and 3 it goes to the output.
That's a 3 pole switch, since we have to control the input destination, and the FX1 and FX2 output destinations. And it's a 3 position switch, since we have three modes, so a 3P3T toggle.

The alternative "looking backwards" approach would be to look at where each thing gets its input from, thinking about sources not destinations.
FX1 input comes from the input jack for mode 1, from ground for mode 2, and from the input jack again for mode 3.
FX2 input comes from ground for mode1, from the input jack for mode 2, and from FX1 output for mode 3.
The output jack gets its input from FX1 output for mode 0, and from FX2 output for modes 2 and 3.
That's still 3 poles and 3 throws, but it's a different way of looking at it and wiring it.

Hope this helps!

antonis

Are boost and octave parts of the same circuit ..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluelagoon

Hey Grub, Good luck in your quest, heres a pic image below on how its done, that also enables an A to B or B to A reverse order series selector switch, but looks like its a 4 pole double throw, they are around, but take up some realestate usually with their size and all.

Also check out the many varied options for switching over on the ggg web site -

https://generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/routers/

bluelagoon

Theres also this one for 2 effects same box, Where you could change one switch to a toggle and keep the other as main footswitch. But gets a bit messy Just means that if you had the Footswitch effect at Bypass and the toggle effect on then, effectively your footswitch then only controls between 2 in series or just the toggle fx on. There are ways to get done what you are looking to do, might need some more web surfing to find the right concept you are seeking.
Cheers.

bluelagoon

Here's one somebody else prepared earlier -
Its a PDF File from over at PCBGUITARMANIA web site, half way down the pdf file are instructions and diagram for dual fx in one box with master bypass. Sounds like this could fit the bill for what you were looking for. Just adapt the minor switch to a toggle and Bobs your Uncle.
All the best.

https://pcbguitarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Pedal-Wiring-Guide-2.pdf

ElectricDruid

Good find, Bluelagoon. There's a ton of useful stuff in there.