New Teensy based programmable stompbox

Started by Blackaddr, March 29, 2023, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackaddr

Aviate Audio has released an open-platform Teensy MicroMod based stompbox called Multiverse.
https://aviateaudio.com/products/multiverse-pedal

Kinda like the MOD Devices stuff, except it's not running Linux, it's all bare-metal. The Teensy isn't locked down, so you can also just program it with whatever custom program you want using the regular Arduino/Teensyduino tools. I've added support for this platform to my own Teensy-based library (extends some of the usual Teensy stuff), and a demo sketch using all the knobs, switches and OLED display is here

If you use the Multiverse framework from Aviate Audio, you get more of a polished GUI experience. The effect programming itself is basically is using the Teensy Audio library API. There is a desktop application that acts as a virtual pedalboard builder (Designer), and an Effect Creator program that in additional to compiling your effects, has a GUI builder for creating your own effect UI. See attached images including the one I made for my Tremolo.

A couple of my effects were published on the platform for it's launch (Analog Delay and the Tremolo), along with publishing the source code (here and here). It's launch sale is $50 off but you can get an additional $50 with coupon code "STOMPBOX50".

I'm thinking of working next on either a chorus efffect or an automatic double tracker. Eventually I'd love to put out a looper effect on this. The external SRAM has a little under 90 seconds worth of audio playback so I think that might be enough for a looper.

If you have any questions about developing for the platform I'll try to answer them.

Blackaddr Audio
Digital Modelling Enthusiast
www.blackaddr.com

niektb

Heey that's very cool! I'm also working on a Teensy-based DSP pedal but I'm failing into getting the I2S to work, could you perhaps share some information on how you implemented the master clocking of the i2s? do you let the teensy generate master clocks or do you have a crystal? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Niek

Blackaddr

The normal Teensy audio board from PJRC and the TGA Pro I make and sell on Tindie use the Teensy as the I2S master, and run at 44.1 KHz. The Multiverse uses a customized version that changes the audio stream to 48 KHz, and runs the CODEC in master mode with a crystal. In order to support this mode in my BALibrary I added master mode support for the WM8731 codec. The code in my library is located here, specifically class BAAudioControlWM8731master.
Blackaddr Audio
Digital Modelling Enthusiast
www.blackaddr.com