Old telephone ringer stompbox

Started by SeneX225, March 30, 2023, 03:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

QuoteThat absolutely worked!
Amazing!

I'm really puzzled what's screwing up those NE555 based circuits.

A 20Hz to 25Hz source will sound better.   It's like listening to a jack hammer if you up the frequency it loses some of the character.

Just to draw a line in the sand this is the simulation with an AC source and series cap.
Since we don't know the coil resistance or inductance actual optimum might occur
with a different cap value but the general behaviour is going to the same.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

SeneX225

Hi! Final update (probably)!
Just wanted to show you the finished product. I used phone's own case because I thought it was just neat.
Some features:
- A green off-(on) button
- A green LED
- Ghoulishly green phone
- A sub-microphone (simple dynamic speaker) controlled by the switch on the left and wired between two jacks

That last part definitely needs some work to behave properly. It's too quiet and I'm not happy with it's placement at the moment. I would put in an actual carbon mic, but caviat is thar bell uses AC and I don't really want to use two different power supplies.

One more thing. I thought about the name for it and have finally, I believe, come up with something appropriate. Thereby I name this contraption:

"Ding!"

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Rob Strand

QuoteI used phone's own case because I thought it was just neat.
Cool idea.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

Quote from: Phend on May 31, 2023, 04:45:23 PM
A Ling ?

Chuck Berry - My Ding A Ling (1972)

The man refined and developed rhythm and blues for 70 years, and he is remembered for singing a dumb ditty about his wee-wee. (This was his only #1 hit, and next-to-last top 40.)

much much longer version
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote from: PRR on May 31, 2023, 09:47:31 PM
A Ling ?

The man refined and developed rhythm and blues for 70 years, and he is remembered for singing a dumb ditty about his wee-wee. (This was his only #1 hit, and next-to-last top 40.)

much much longer version
Did he play through speakers with Whizzer cones?
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%2B%22whizzer+cone%22&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9_-2N-6D_AhUa7TgGHWPMAdQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=899&dpr=1

SeneX225

Quote from: PRR on May 31, 2023, 09:47:31 PM
A Ling ?

much much longer version

I always knew there is a connection between weiner songs and R'n'B.

duck_arse

Quote from: SeneX225 on May 31, 2023, 02:26:44 PM
Hi! Final update (probably)!
Just wanted to show you the finished product. I used phone's own case because I thought it was just neat.
Some features:
- A green off-(on) button
- A green LED
- Ghoulishly green phone
- A sub-microphone (simple dynamic speaker) controlled by the switch on the left and wired between two jacks

That last part definitely needs some work to behave properly. It's too quiet and I'm not happy with it's placement at the moment. I would put in an actual carbon mic, but caviat is thar bell uses AC and I don't really want to use two different power supplies.

One more thing. I thought about the name for it and have finally, I believe, come up with something appropriate. Thereby I name this contraption:

"Ding!"

a lifetime ago, I worked for a security firm, did bank jobs when cameras were 35mm motor-driven stills. and they used to run the whole system off 12V back-up gell cells. there were many things about the bank for the tellers to push or trip when in panic mode, and often a dummy telephone was installed which was connected to nothing but a ringer circuit. [and our techs spent much time designing for correct cadence.] whenever that phone rang, the staff knew there was a robbery in progress. I have a gub, don't make a move, and all that.

ahh, the good old days. hello? how did you get this number? [I'm sorry, we don't have the lengths.]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.