New at this! Gunna need help!

Started by FartInhaler, April 28, 2023, 10:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FartInhaler

Thanks everyone for your advice! Some of them I only just saw. I ordered the components and then ended up getting a pcb mania board, it's called Vandall from hell. I installed all of the components, accidently ordered a momentary footswitch instead of latching so that sucks.

It's having some major problems, it's supposed to be a 24v pedal so I ordered all components with higher thresholds than 25v, when I plugged the pedal in the led didn't come on, but when I switch it to a 9v power supply the light comes on but still no sound or bypass.
Could it be the footswitch installed incorrectly? All of my solder joints look OK to my stupid eyes. Just not sure what the problem is, or where to start trouble shooting.
Any advice?

FartInhaler

idy

Possibly the higher (24v?) power supply I the wrong polarity? Guitar effects are "center negative" and most power supplies are "center positive."

FartInhaler

FartInhaler

Quote from: idy on June 03, 2023, 09:54:17 PM
Possibly the higher (24v?) power supply I the wrong polarity? Guitar effects are "center negative" and most power supplies are "center positive."

Just tried an 18v guitar power supply from my mxr10 band and got the led lit up but still no sound. (The build guide says 18v will work but 24v is optimal) so do you know if it is possible to install a footswitch the wrong way? Could that send the signal to like a ground wire or something?

idy

Yes it is certainly possible to wire a stomp switch up wrong!
We can't see yours.
Do you understand how they work? three rows of terminals, the middle row are either connected to the ones above or below. viewed from the back we number them:
here 2 either goes to 1 or 3, etc.
Lots can go wrong. One common fail is to rotate the switch 90 degrees...
This is one good reason to test a circuit before you attach the stomp switch.

FartInhaler

Quote from: idy on June 03, 2023, 11:37:09 PM
Yes it is certainly possible to wire a stomp switch up wrong!
We can't see yours.
Do you understand how they work? three rows of terminals, the middle row are either connected to the ones above or below. viewed from the back we number them:
here 2 either goes to 1 or 3, etc.
Lots can go wrong. One common fail is to rotate the switch 90 degrees...
This is one good reason to test a circuit before you attach the stomp switch.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to go get some Flux and try rotating the footswitch!

idy

And unsoldering a footswitch often ruins it. The metal terminals are embedded in plastic that gets soft when hot. You might think of cutting the wires in the middle and splicing, or taking the wires out at the pcb. PCBs also can be ruined with desoldering.

First step would be determining if the switch is right or not, not whipping out the iron.

When you hear a little voice on your shoulder telling you to start randomly desoldering things, that is not the little guy with the wings and halo.

Phend

Tip of the Day.
On your "paper" printout of the schematic.
Always include (draw) the foot switch.
With a pencil, Connect the top pins to the middle pins and follow the circuit.
Erase.
Now connect the middle pins to the bottom pins and follow the circuit.
Make sure the connections are what you want.

With a Foot Switch Board, draw the internal connections.
Just an example.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.