Need help for increasing treble tone of Angry charlie v3 clone

Started by ali1111, May 18, 2023, 04:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali1111

Hi friends
I've  made a clone of Angry charlie V3, its sounds amazing and have a nice and warm  distortion but i think it has less treble, what is your recommendations for increasing about 30-40% treble to tone of this pedal
https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/AngryCharles.pdf

ElectricDruid

There's a couple of caps in that circuit with are limiting treble above 1.6KHz - that's fairly severe, although it's only a -6dB/oct roll-off.

The first is C7/100p. You could reduce that to 47p or 22p, to gain an extra octave (or two for 22p).

The second is C17/22n. You could reduce that to 10n or 4n7, again to get an extra octave or two.

Those two are where I'd start, anyway. There's plenty of "harsh treble" roll-off in that design, but one person's harsh treble is another's "presence", so try putting some of it back and see how you get on with it.

One other thing to note: Although the *frequency* effect of the two caps is the same, one is before the clipping diodes and the other is after, so they won't both have the same effect on the sound. You might find you like one very open, but the other much more closed, and that could be either way around. Just be sure to test it both ways.

HTH

antonis

off-topic, but..

I don't like C10 placement..
(at least, not without a 100R or so resistor - in the cost of IC2,2 output impedance..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ali1111

What about c19  (22n) cap in treble tone stack?
Do you think Decreasing it is beneficial or not?

Dormammu

Quote from: ali1111 on May 19, 2023, 01:56:07 PM
It is 2,2 nF, not 22.   According to the diagram.
I would suggest increasing it a bit. 2-3 times.
And of course, reduce C17 to 1nF.

antonis

C19 is 2.2nF, if I'm right.. :icon_wink:

https://www.petervis.com/record_players_and_turntables/baxandall-tone-control/circuit-and-calculator.html

or better, use the following..

Further reading:
https://e2e.ti.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/6/1980-NSC-Audio-_2600_-Radio-Handbook-_2D00_-Part-1.pdf
pages 2-46 to 2-55

P.S.
Highs already attenuated upstream can't be recovered by altering C19 so make sure that LPFs corner frequencies already mentioned by ElectricDruid are above your highs taste.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ali1111

Quote from: Dormammu on May 19, 2023, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: ali1111 on May 19, 2023, 01:56:07 PM
It is 2,2 nF, not 22.   According to the diagram.
I would suggest increasing it a bit. 2-3 times.
And of course, reduce C17 to 1nF.
Sorry, i was meant 2.2nf

Box_Stuffer

Dormammu

Quote from: Box_Stuffer on May 19, 2023, 09:17:23 PM
You could turn up the treble on your amp....   8)
Or turn down the bass and mids. Even on the box itself.  ;D

antonis

Quote from: Box_Stuffer on May 19, 2023, 09:17:23 PM
You could turn up the treble on your amp....   8)

To do what on a signal of already severely attenuated treble..??

Dormammu

Quote from: antonis on May 20, 2023, 10:30:21 AM

To do what on a signal of already severely attenuated treble..??
And where is the "severely attenuated treble"?
Are you saying that by throwing C19 into hell, we will not get any difference in the final signal?    :o :o
RC-filters don't work anymore?

eh la bas ma

I built the Angry Charles and I was also desappointed with the EQ.

Building the Captain Crunch Deluxe (MI Audio Super Crunch Box) solved the issue. EQ is much more effective on this build, and it's really easier to find some good settings.

I think Angry Charlie is a clone of the first version of MI Audio Crunch Box, with 3-bands EQ instead of a Tone control. The second Crunch Box version has its own 3-bands EQ and it's much better, in my experience. Probably the best MIAB circuit ever made. JHS's clone was interesting before MI Audio made the second version of their Crunch Box, I guess.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/crunchcaptaindeluxe/

I'd suggest to  build the Captain Crunch Deluxe, and give your Angry Charles to a friend, you won't need it anymore.

"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

antonis

Dormammu

Quote from: eh la bas ma on May 20, 2023, 12:22:30 PM
I built the Angry Charles and I was also desappointed with the EQ.

Building the Captain Crunch Deluxe (MI Audio Super Crunch Box) solved the issue. EQ is much more effective on this build, and it's really easier to find some good settings.
Very strange statements.
I think you didn't appreciate active EQ because of your young age. (and lack of experience)
Passive EQs sounds flat for my taste, while active EQs provide some interesting possibilities.

eh la bas ma

Quote from: Dormammu on May 20, 2023, 01:09:56 PM
Very strange statements.

Is it ? Reading the MI Audio's manual :

"a fully active 3 band EQ for surgical tonal precision"

https://miaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/SCBv.2-Manual-2.pdf

They both have active EQ.

Despite my lack of experience and my young age, the Super Crunch box's 3-bands EQ has much more range than the JHS's clone.

If you are missing some highs on your build, you should probably try the original circuit.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

Dormammu

Quote from: eh la bas ma on May 20, 2023, 03:19:51 PM
Is it ? Reading the MI Audio's manual :

"a fully active 3 band EQ for surgical tonal precision"

https://miaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/SCBv.2-Manual-2.pdf

They both have active EQ.

Despite my lack of experience and my young age, the Super Crunch box's 3-bands EQ has much more range than the JHS's clone.
Google search turned up not exact diagrams.
Ok, active — so active.   ;)