Wider enclosures, Sansamp fly rig style

Started by marcelomd, May 25, 2023, 01:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcelomd

Hello,

I'm looking for a wider enclosure. Ideally two 1590BB connected on the short side, but the exact measurements or ratio is not super important. I'm working on something like the Sansamp Flyrigs and a wide but short aspect would be nice.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Ripthorn

Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

bluebunny

I used the BX2 for a build once.  It only fitted three footswitches comfortably.  Four would probably have worked, but been cozy.  And I put the pots on the back face to make best use of the space inside, which was pretty snug.

It's probably quite a bit smaller than that Sansamp enclosure.  One of these extruded enclosures might another option:

(Though they are a b!tch to drill compared to the soft die-cast alloy...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

amptramp

ou can get aluminum valve covers out of a wrecking yard that should give you a long enclosure.  If it has an oil fill hole, just stick a round meter in it.  You can always find a use for a meter.

bluebunny

That is a cool idea, Ron!  You've had me spend ten minutes searching eBay...   :icon_rolleyes:   Some are a bit pricey, but I can get one for a Porsche 924 for little more than £20.   :icon_cool:

• SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Love the suggestions.
Not counting the car parts, all hard to find where I live...
I think I'll end screwing two enclosures together.

Box_Stuffer

Check out stompboxparts.com - they have pretty reasonable enclosures of all shapes and sizes. I think the long one like you need is about $11.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: bluebunny on May 26, 2023, 09:15:49 AM
That is a cool idea, Ron!  You've had me spend ten minutes searching eBay...   :icon_rolleyes:   Some are a bit pricey, but I can get one for a Porsche 924 for little more than £20.   :icon_cool:

Also, Zündfolge 1342 isn't the worst name for a multi effect.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

bluebunny

I think it would be mandatory.  You're making my "add to cart" finger twitch...
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Quote from: Fancy Lime on May 27, 2023, 02:05:13 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on May 26, 2023, 09:15:49 AM

Also, Zündfolge 1342 isn't the worst name for a multi effect.

Zondfolge means firing order.  You could hook up four effects with the wiring between them going from the first to the third to the fourth to the second.  Truth in advertising.  Maybe a valve/cam cover without the ribs on the top would be better for mounting controls.  The mounting threads on most pots are very short.

bluelagoon

Save yourself some time money, and spare yourself the headaches, just get on over to Aliexpress and purchase a cheap as chips already assembled no components needed, no assembly required multi fx pedal similar to the Sans amps for not much more than your Porsche rocker cover worst nightmare.

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4000725736991.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.71.2e9f6b5dM6v445&algo_pvid=44613f31-2b1d-495d-95e9-20daf475e253&algo_exp_id=44613f31-2b1d-495d-95e9-20daf475e253-35&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21AUD%2199.89%2165.93%21%21%21%21%21%40211bea7b16856658768968485d07d7%2110000006378846719%21sea%21AU%21712531695&curPageLogUid=D5EWEZzRuRzE

bluebunny

Quote from: bluelagoon on June 01, 2023, 08:50:05 PM
Save yourself some time money, and spare yourself the headaches, just get on over to Aliexpress and purchase a cheap as chips already assembled no components needed, no assembly required multi fx pedal similar to the Sans amps for not much more than your Porsche rocker cover worst nightmare.

Aw!  Where would be the fun in that?   ;D
  • SUPPORTER

bluelagoon

Probably a bit of a kill joy, but this pedal building, while it is a great endeavor in many respects and satisfying to be creating something that works along with your musical interests, it can tend to get a little to much heading down the wrong path sometimes,, with obsessing over having and building the latest greatest funkiest out there pedal, while neglecting your true passion for playing the music.

Just saying, this interest to a lot of us came about years earlier, when there were not a lot of commercial available pedals at  affordable prices to a young person, so the way to get the gear together at that time was to build them yourself from whatever flimsy resources you could scrape up and a magazine schematic.

It was good at the time, but as with most things letting the interest get out of hand and becoming an unbalanced part of life it can become an obsession, distracting from a lot of the main aims in life, and potentially with the focus more on pedal building than the music, it can be the detriment to an otherwise potentially talented musician.

With the amount of affordable commercial pedals out there this day and age, I believe in hindsight, I would approach my interest in playing and learning guitar differently, by just purchasing a few or more affordable versatile fx pedals and focusing more on the playing and learning side of the music interest. I am sure that along with a lot of others I might well of made a better musician of myself.

Then again who knows, sometimes you just cant take away the creative passion in some who feel the need to tinker.
Then there are some who can balance the 2 interests well and do well in both areas. Take Joe Walsh for instance, he was an early effects pedal and electronics buff all the while at the same time honing his musical talent, and never did his musical prowess any harm it seems.
Well there it is, another 2 cents worth from me. Cheers

ElectricDruid

Quote from: bluelagoon on June 02, 2023, 06:51:39 AM
with the focus more on pedal building than the music, it can be the detriment to an otherwise potentially talented musician.

Luckily for me I'm a hopelessly untalented musician so I'm free to spend as much time as I like messing about with circuit without robbing the world of any stupendous music, lol! ;

marcelomd

I'm not a musician. I'm an engineer who likes music and music gear. My true passion is actually building things. I have no illusion about my musical skills.

I'm not talking about cloning a pedal here. I want to build something that doesn't exist (yet). I want to rehouse a power amp board and preamp that I designed in an enclosure with a specific form factor that fits my small apartment.

Currently it's a hassle to get and put away every discrete unit every time I want to play. So, in this case, building something will actually let me play more =)