Score...again.!

Started by momo, May 26, 2023, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

Different items than the last lot but worth it.
Some of the stuff I have no idea !

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

PRR

I guess the guys are glad to see you coming.

(Sorry for the very non-PC art--- but it does show how-it-works.)
manual: https://archive.org/details/learavian-p-10-b
More direction finders: https://www.angelfire.com/space/proto57/rdf.html
  • SUPPORTER

momo

Thanks for that.
I love this stuff!
Now I checked inside the radio, there is a nice small chassis I could use for another tube project.
If its worth it I could try to sell, but I would tend to gut the thing.....

Phend

Suggest you wire them all up in series.
Call it the Slumgulleen Wichamacallet.
One smoking effect when plugged in, (the first time )
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

momo

Quote from: Phend on May 26, 2023, 07:37:01 PM
Suggest you wire them all up in series.
Call it the Slumgulleen Wichamacallet.
One smoking effect when plugged in, (the first time )
If you want you can come over and press the on switch, I can even take a picture of the moment,  with an extremely fast shutter speed.
:icon_biggrin:

Fancy Lime

How do you manage to score so much? Do you have a process?

My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

momo

People need money bad these days, to the point of selling stuff they usually won't sell.
Depending on who I deal with, I sometimes give more than asked....

Most of the time, I play dumb and don't know the value, this way, they don't argue much as they feel its hopeless.
I'm lucky to have a budget for this and so like I said sometimes I pay a little more to help out.
This stuff here was sold by a dad that was selling to give the money to his son who has a family and is struggling. The son was into amp building himself... so I gave the guy 100 dollars more.
Lot's of stuff for sale if you do the research.

GibsonGM

Most of that stuff, even if not very useable for our hobby here, is so 'steam punk' that it basically has value as ART!  Who wouldn't want some of those chassis' spicing up the 'electro lab'??  Great stuff!

I'd be very much into finding some old iron for tube builds - as long as the wiring is not degraded or anything.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

mozz

I've bought so much old test equipment, I pass on most now.  Unless there's certain items, such as a cheap old oscilloscope with 20 chicken head knobs, items with audio tubes.  There's certain ones with mullard 5ar4's, one with 7189a's and another with some Telefunken 12ax7's.  Some military stuff has great caps and quality tube sockets. 
  • SUPPORTER

Phend

Just picked this up for 8 bucks. 1970'S new in box.
Working on hole pattern so i can to put it into my next build.
Will pot Q2 bias and connect meter to display.

• SUPPORTER+

momo

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 27, 2023, 07:12:36 AM
Most of that stuff, even if not very useable for our hobby here, is so 'steam punk' that it basically has value as ART!  Who wouldn't want some of those chassis' spicing up the 'electro lab'??  Great stuff!

I'd be very much into finding some old iron for tube builds - as long as the wiring is not degraded or anything.
I have to say, apart from the electronics in what we build, I really like to build with funky chassis and enclosures as to make it beautiful as well as good sounding.
I LOVE the steam punk look and stuff, it becomes that once I put together pieces that were not destined to be together.
That air capacitor "variac" you see above , it only does up to 1000 pf, so I will probably rehouse a real variac in there . My only concern is butchering some peice that has vintage value. It's difficult to know what people would pay for these things today.
Am I the only one buying?....lol

momo

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 27, 2023, 07:12:36 AM

I now have 15-20 power transformers, nice heavy ones with all the wiring needed, even 5v for tube rectifiers if needed. Maybe 10-15 OT's coming from vintage European tube radios.
So now I have everything I need to build a few items.
The hardest part for me is putting all the different elements together coming from different items, making it fit and thats what I love.
My workshop is getting more and more inviting..!

GibsonGM

Totally great shop!  But -  it's too clean....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 27, 2023, 12:55:09 PM
But -  it's too clean....

More close to sterile, I'd say... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

glops

Sorry for the thread hijack, Momo! Thought you might appreciate this stuff I scored recently. I grabbed a lot of this stuff from a vintage radio repair technicians store that had shut down a year ago. Around that time there was an ad on craigslist wanting to know if someone wanted to buy the whole store to take over the business and then last month I was randomly searching craigslist and saw that the store was going to be open like an estate sale starting the next day, so I went and grabbed a few things for super cheap and then went back the following day with a bigger vehicle. And it was super cheap, probably around 200 dollars for both days combined. Lots of old non working transistor radios with tons of Japanese germanium transistors. Really happy about 2 100 count boxes of clairnex LDRs and 3 large containers full of capacitors. Probably 1000pf and 150n metal film caps for a lifetime.

And then a few weeks later there was another estate sale where I scored the lot with the PAiA amp. The amp was super clean on the inside and out. 3 wires from the circuit board were unconnected but then at the back of the amp there is a terminal strip connected to a couple of 9V battery snaps and the wires were labeled so I soldered those back in place and the amp works! I don't think the mic input works but the instrument input works just fine and it has an effects loop where the receive can be punched in before the 3 band tone control or after. But for me I am totally happy just playing the guitar straight in utilizing the onboard distortion and the 3 band tone control. Sounds really great pumping the 2 5 inch speakers. I have to look at the schematic again but the distortion is a opamp diode clipper to ground circuit and the tone control looks active. Might make a nice pedal in itself.

Usually when I go to an estate sale like this my main goal is score germanium transistors and diodes or other parts. These two sales were too cheap to not stock up, probably around $350 for everything.

momo

Quote from: glops on May 27, 2023, 02:56:40 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack, Momo! Thought you might appreciate this stuff I scored recently. I grabbed a lot of this stuff from a vintage radio repair technicians store that had shut down a year ago. Around that time there was an ad on craigslist wanting to know if someone wanted to buy the whole store to take over the business and then last month I was randomly searching craigslist and saw that the store was going to be open like an estate sale starting the next day, so I went and grabbed a few things for super cheap and then went back the following day with a bigger vehicle. And it was super cheap, probably around 200 dollars for both days combined. Lots of old non working transistor radios with tons of Japanese germanium transistors. Really happy about 2 100 count boxes of clairnex LDRs and 3 large containers full of capacitors. Probably 1000pf and 150n metal film caps for a lifetime.

And then a few weeks later there was another estate sale where I scored the lot with the PAiA amp. The amp was super clean on the inside and out. 3 wires from the circuit board were unconnected but then at the back of the amp there is a terminal strip connected to a couple of 9V battery snaps and the wires were labeled so I soldered those back in place and the amp works! I don't think the mic input works but the instrument input works just fine and it has an effects loop where the receive can be punched in before the 3 band tone control or after. But for me I am totally happy just playing the guitar straight in utilizing the onboard distortion and the 3 band tone control. Sounds really great pumping the 2 5 inch speakers. I have to look at the schematic again but the distortion is a opamp diode clipper to ground circuit and the tone control looks active. Might make a nice pedal in itself.

Usually when I go to an estate sale like this my main goal is score germanium transistors and diodes or other parts. These two sales were too cheap to not stock up, probably around $350 for everything.

My Hero right there, holy crap man, talk about the jitters, I can't concentrate, must focus...

momo

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 27, 2023, 12:55:09 PM
Totally great shop!  But -  it's too clean....

Busted!
hehe
I should of took a picture before the reconfiguration, you all would of been proud.
This setup was completed yesterday!
Will post back in a month.

Phend

Ok, where do you guys store all that, ah, stuff.
Next, let's see a post in pictures of it converted into a stompbox.
BTW, cool stuff, I wish I had it all. Never never get rid of anything even if she says you have to.
  • SUPPORTER+

momo

Quote from: Phend on May 27, 2023, 05:03:50 PM
Ok, where do you guys store all that, ah, stuff.
Next, let's see a post in pictures of it converted into a stompbox.
BTW, cool stuff, I wish I had it all. Never never get rid of anything even if she says you have to.

Soon....it's just that I need to do some homework first before I try real B+.
I also need to build a isolation transformer/variac/current bulb limiter before I do anything else.
Oh and yes, my goal is to build tube stomp boxes but also nice small preamps and guitar amps in funky enclosures.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER