volume and tone control for inst level fx loop

Started by bthm3288, May 27, 2023, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bthm3288

I use a Suhr MiniMix II https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/suhr-minimix-ii/ to create a parallel loop on my pedalboard.. this allows me to interface with my rack delay units and maintain good dry through tone and also easily kill the wet signal via a switch on the mini mix, which works great (the rack delays output wet only). I use a 25k audio pot on the return to the mini mix which allows me to control the wet level on the fly.

However I would like to add a low pass filter to my volume control box, in much the same way as a guitar volume and tone circuit works.. I would like to darken the delays at times. I've wired up my volume box like a guitar volume and tone control, and the volume control works but the tone pot has no effect on the highs.. I'm trying to work out if this idea is flawed or if I've just wired it up wrong. I'm using 25k pots for volume and tone and a .022uF capacitor. here is a diagram of how I've wired up my box -

thanks in advance!

antonis

Can't get your wiring but for a LPF you need a series resistance and a shunt (grounded) capacitor..
Could you plz elaborate complete Tone pot wirinig..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bthm3288

thanks! this is the basic idea I'm going for.. except I'm using 25k pots and .022uF cap

FiveseveN

The tone control in a guitar is dependent on the pickups' high impedance, which your delay output doesn't have. You need something like the SWTC:

You can play with the values here:
https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/swtc1.htm#RIN=1k&RT=47k&RV=100k&R1=1k&RL=1M&C1=10n&RT_pot=Linear&RV_pot=LogA
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

bthm3288

thanks for that info! I'll check it out, much appreciated

antonis

Just to make things clear.. :icon_wink:
Are we talking about below configuration..??

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bthm3288

thanks antonis yeah that was what I was originally going for.. I didn't realize that the low impedance output from my delay unit wouldn't work w a guitar volume tone control situation. I'll check out the SWTC as advised

bthm3288

thanks FiveseveN, I got it wired up and the SWTC works perfectly for this application - I can control both the volume of the delayed signal and the tone of the delays.