Could I get a experianced set of eyes on my ICL7660S wiring?

Started by carboncomp, May 29, 2023, 11:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

Could someone be kind enough to double-check this for me?

Trying to build my first SMD pedal to get better with KiCad and going with a Fuzz Face, and I want to double-check check I have the voltage inverter wired up correctly.   

FSFX

Quote from: carboncomp on May 29, 2023, 11:40:07 AM
Could someone be kind enough to double-check this for me?

Trying to build my first SMD pedal to get better with KiCad and going with a Fuzz Face, and I want to double-check check I have the voltage inverter wired up correctly.   

If it is an ICL7660S (note for the S version of the 7660) then you should connect pin 8 to pin 1 to get it running at a higher clock speed.

carboncomp

Thank you, so I need to add pin 1 to the footprint and link it to V+, assume I want the ICL7660S over the ICL7660? (did some googling and apparently, there are issues with the oscillator frequency of the ICL7660 being in the audible range?)

bluebunny

Yes indeed: you'll hear the 7660.  Only your dog will hear the 7660S.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

carboncomp

Quote from: bluebunny on May 30, 2023, 02:53:26 AM
Yes indeed: you'll hear the 7660.  Only your dog will hear the 7660S.

Thank you, really appreciated.

Are there other IC worth considering, or other approaches to inventing voltage? Guess I just wondering what the best option is for this application. 

ElectricDruid

Quote from: carboncomp on May 30, 2023, 08:17:34 AM
Are there other IC worth considering, or other approaches to inventing voltage? Guess I just wondering what the best option is for this application.
There's also the TC1044S. Same idea, different manufacturer. Whether it's a better option or not, I don't know - they claim it's "a pin-compatible upgrade to the Industry standard TC7660". You'd probably have to read the datasheets side-by-side to know if that's really true or not for our purposes.

idy

Also worth looking at the LT1054, same pinout (no "boost" necessary, don't connect pins 1 and 8.) More voltage accepted, more current available.