Am I missing something..??

Started by antonis, May 30, 2023, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonis

Occasioned by Mark's suggestion here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=130689.msg1267879;topicseen#msg1267879

from here: http://www.muzines.co.uk/images_mag/pdf/pl/pl_76_02.pdf, pages 8 & 9..

Unless the author expects an output load of about 600 Ohms or a Q1 VA (Early voltage) of about 1V  :icon_eek:, it makes no sense to me..
Also, R5 value must be a typo..
(or it's intentionally biased for asymmetrical headroom..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

The part you underline is just wrong. Misheard, misunderstood, no way to say today.

R5 value is perfectly workable, especially since it goes direct to an amp with near-guitar sensitivity. (Apparently ~~80mV.)

• SUPPORTER

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Steben

Might sound unpleasant imho with 7k input impedance, perhaps clips on its own and no clue what follows...
Unless fuzzy is the goal?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

antonis

Quote from: Steben on May 31, 2023, 03:57:16 AM
Unless fuzzy is the goal?

Dunno but author declares it can be used as a preamp as well.. :icon_wink:
(which is far away of those days fuzzes..)

Anyway, as Paul said above, 2.2V (or so) headroom for signal negative input should more than OK for an effect of such a low input sensitivity..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Those old magazine articles and projects are often full of mistakes/typos/whatever. I remember waiting for the next issue to come out so I could see if there was an errata and find out what was up with the thing I'd just built!

PRR

Quote from: Steben on May 31, 2023, 03:57:16 AMMight sound unpleasant imho with 7k input impedance...

Direct from e-guitar, 7k load is just a bit weak and no-treble, not necessarily unpleasant. I agree it looks very odd today.

It does have the whiff of hasty-fix for a LM386 amp that was OK with any amplified thing but a bit shy on raw guitar. It was not sold for that, but people don't know "level" or "impedance" and a $1.50 add-on makes some sense.
  • SUPPORTER