"Comp-Cut" on the Fulltone FD2... ?

Started by Phorhas, October 23, 2003, 03:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

Hey guys,

I was going through the fulltone page and ran across this one... what exactly is it and how does it work...?
:roll:
Electron Pusher

Steve C

On the Fulldrive 2 it's a switch that removes the two diodes from the feedback loop in the drive section, which in turn dramatically increases the volume by eliminating the diode clipping.

Phorhas

How the tone without the diode clipping, totaly clean?
Electron Pusher

Mike Nichting

It is clean,yes. I wouldn't say it's totally clean. I think it still breaks up just not much.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Phorhas

is it any good, like good MOS/FET/GE etc. boosters and such?
Electron Pusher

Steve C

If you're wanting to know if the mod is worth it, I'd say yes just for the fact that it adds more versatility to the tube-screamer.  The pedal will still break up/distort by increasing the drive, but not a lot.  The difference in the volumes of the pedal as a tube-screamer and in the "comp" mode are far to great to be able to use them together.  

So in other words, if you used the "comp" then wanted to  use the pedal as a tube-screamer you'd have to re-adjust your volume levels everytime you switched between the two.  Whether it's good or not would have to be up to you.

Phorhas

Electron Pusher