BBS looks good :)

Started by Joe Davisson, October 19, 2003, 07:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Great to see you're back!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Joe Davisson

Thanks for the nice return welcome. It's great to be back on this cool forum!

aron

well, you were really missed. A lot!

Phorhas

Can't wait to see what you come up with next (ans what sounds will await us)...

:wink:
Electron Pusher

Ge_Whiz

How refreshing to have someone on this forum with sufficient clout to utter the phrase "transistor amplifier" and get away with it!  :D

They're not ALL bad, y'know...

WGTP

Anymore developments on the Black Fire/Obsidian ciruits or the Mosfet versions?   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Doug H

Quote from: Joe Davisson
I'm fed up with PCB layouts, and don't think I'll do them anymore. It's just too easy to get burned. But I am considering copyleft for new schematics, since everyone copies them anyway. Then I can concentrate on having fun instead of being paranoid 8)

I don't blame you there, especially since PCB layouts are such a PITA to begin with... I hate them and don't even do them for myself anymore. I'm all perf now, baby...;) PCB makes a lot of sense for production, but not for one-off diy hobby stuff, IMO.

Good to see you back, Joe. Check your PM. I'll send you an application I did of one of your ideas.

Doug

Paul Marossy

I must be a weirdo...  :shock:
I much prefer a PCB over perfboard for many reasons.

I'm glad you're back, Joe. I'm working on a guitar synth of sorts myself. I still haven't got it perfected yet, though.

Say, when I go to www.joedavisson.com, is that your real estate oriented website? Top seller in Tulsa, Oklahoma?  :wink:

petemoore

Long time...great to see your back !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Joe Davisson

I gave up on them awhile while back, the bipolars are more reliable and sound as good to me. I need to check the biasing for the P-channel MOSFET's and repost the old Obsidian idea under a new name, maybe revamp the circuit a bit. They do seem to have just the right amount of gain for a 3-stage pedal, which is ideal because of the inverting output. Which MOSFET's should I use, BS250 seems to be most common?

I saw the real estate agent too. His name isn't even the same. Oh well...

Doug I didn't get a PM, did you send it yet  :?:

Kleber AG

Nice to have you back Joe!
Good to see you're fine...
More preamps/overdrives!!!!!!!!!  :wink:

Kleber AG

Kleber AG

I forgot...
I still have my "DUAL MOS" :)  somewhere, obsidians, and I really LOVE the Blackfire! Awesome sounding preamp! I'm using it at my rig.
Thank you very much!!!

Kleber AG

Doug H

Quote from: Paul MarossyI must be a weirdo...  :shock:
I much prefer a PCB over perfboard for many reasons.

Oh I think PCB's are great and I have used them a number of times. It's just that I can usually whip out a perfboard layout in about a half hour, whereas I can literally spend days agonizing over producing a PCB design. I don't know why that is, it must be something about the way my brain works. :D

I also like to get right to the soldering. Even though it takes longer with a perfboard, I prefer that over the multi-step process of making the PCB first. I know... They are just mental games I play with myself to keep my enthusiasm up. :D

Sometimes I think that is the big trick to hitting your stride: finding the things you like to do and maximizing them while minimizing the things you don't like.

Doug

Paul Marossy

That's interesting. I usually whip out a PCB layout in 2-4 hours, by hand, using AutoCAD. I haven't had too many problems with any PCBs I have designed - about 10 or 12 now. Only one ended in less than perfect performance...

I don't worry that much about the physical layout of things, even with high gain circuits. I just try to get as neat a layout as possible, use as few jumpers as possible and use a ground plane around most of the circuit board. Maybe I have just been lucky so far...  :wink:

Perboards on the other hand, they give me a headache.... I have used it from time to time, though. Mostly for very, very simple circuits.

MarkB

I'm with you, Paul...
I've started to HATE perfboard.  The last project I tried was a transistor Obsidian (which I tried to do a nice, neat perf layout for) - still haven't got it working... and so far every project I have done on PCB has worked on the first try..
"-)

Joe Davisson

I found that when using the pad-per-hole boards, that it's easier to solder all the parts in where you want 'em first, clip all the leads real short, then go back with fine solid bare wire to complete the circuit. (I use wire-wrapping wire with the insulation removed.)

It makes the circuit a bit cleaner and easier to repair IMO.

-Joe