News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PWM Chip

Started by R.G., October 25, 2003, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

The recent stuff on the stuttering pedal circuit made me think for a bit about how I'd do a good PWM. I had to go back a ways.

The 555 or some opamps and comparators is what everyone thinks of, but the SG3524 switching power supply chip does a dandy analog pwm all in one chip. It's got RC timer, PWM comparator and some opamps on one chip along with either open circuit or totem pole drivers. I think this one chip would do a PWM solution when combined with a well designed JFET switch to do things like:

PWM phaser
PWM tremolo
PWM ring modulator
PWM variable filters ala the MXR version
variable four pole lowpass filters with resonance.

It will do either single or opposite phase pwm - I think.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gez

Data sheet here:

http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1431.pdf

Haven't read it yet, just want to read what the gurus come up with!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Marcos - Munky

QuoteI think this one chip would do a PWM solution when combined with a well designed JFET switch to do things like:

PWM phaser
PWM tremolo
PWM ring modulator
PWM variable filters ala the MXR version
variable four pole lowpass filters with resonance.

Sounds very cool, R.G.

brett

If you could trigger modulation from a decent signal level (>1mV ??), you could probably overcome the "noisy when it's supposed to be quiet" problem that plagues ring modulators.

Go for it!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)