OT: Tubes.....your thoughts......

Started by AllyP, August 26, 2003, 10:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regan

Well I have to disagree a bit with Dubs,
The 2 year lifespan could be true if your gigging-maybe, and only for your power tubes(maybe only 6 monthes too). If your amp is used mostly for bedroom playing your power tubes could last 20 years or more, get a shop to test your tubes for you before you decide to replace them. I have a couple of amps that are over 30 years old, have the original power tubes and have been gigged, it depends on how hot they are biased, quality of tubes etc. Also IMO there is no real need for matched tubes in a guitar amp, thats a hifi trend that has crossed over to guitar.
I have my doubts that you have a tube problem though, I would take it to a shop, 450v or so can hurt quite a bit:)
Regan

Jered

http://guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

Wow, what a great website!  Thank you!

Jered

dubs

Quote from: ReganWell I have to disagree a bit with Dubs,
The 2 year lifespan could be true if your gigging-maybe, and only for your power tubes(maybe only 6 monthes too). If your amp is used mostly for bedroom playing your power tubes could last 20 years or more, get a shop to test your tubes for you before you decide to replace them. I have a couple of amps that are over 30 years old, have the original power tubes and have been gigged, it depends on how hot they are biased, quality of tubes etc. Also IMO there is no real need for matched tubes in a guitar amp, thats a hifi trend that has crossed over to guitar.
I have my doubts that you have a tube problem though, I would take it to a shop, 450v or so can hurt quite a bit:)
Regan

When I meant two years it was only a very average estimate if you were gigging.  I highly recommend reading the tube primer document  at:
http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Primers.html
It will educate about what is true and what isn't, matching tubes blah balh blah...

Jose

Russian 5881's are my choice of modern pwr. tubes, even where el34's are specified. Make sure your pwr. tranny can handle the extra current pull of all these different tubes being recomended, kt88 draws twice the current as a 5881. Jose