i just built my first original design... questions???

Started by Brian Marshall, October 26, 2003, 03:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

I built a single stage op amp distortion with diodes in the feed back loop.

The funny part is it wasnt working the way i wanted it to.  It sounds great to me... i was going for more of an overdrive, but it goes from overdrive, suprisingly, and gracefully in to metal.

I think im going to build a second stage, and boos the highs a bit, before it goes to the filter.  I'm just shocked at how good it sounds.  It is like a Boss DS-1, only a lot richer, and smoother.

One more question.  When reading poly film caps, all values are in pF right.  223 = .0022 pf?  most of them seemed to work the way i expected, but when i went to use a poly film I didnt get the expected results.

Last question... what does everyone use to draw scematics on your computer?  Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

J Gagan

Hi Brian, congrats on your circuit! Keep us posted.

I learned how to draw schems from the great tutorial at Small Bear
http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/Drawsche/Drawsche.htm. I did not know how to use MS paint at the time so it was great that it was so basic. I built all of my own basic building blocks, and still use them to this day.

thanks Steve!

some people start by modding an existing diagram, the copyright issues about using  bits and pieces from existing drawings are iffy, though.

I still use MS paint a lot even though I know how to work in photoshop, Corel, MGI etc.  Ms paint is very fast because it is so simple .

How are your graphics skills?

Peter Snowberg

Congratulations on your new pedal. 8)

With the caps... 223 = 22000pF, or 22nF, or .022uF, depending on how you want to say it. If you were expecting .0022uF, that sure would make a difference.  :wink:

For schematics, I'm still on the mechanical pencil and grid paper program so I can't be much help there.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Marcos - Munky

You can use Eagle, ExpressPCB, Paint or a lot of softwares. If you have acess to a scanner, hand-draw it and send to me, I redraw it for you. Congrats for your effect.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://atlas.csd.net/~rjwsoft/SchematicEditorPromo/schematicpubwebpage.html
I havn't used this, but so many people do, that I can 'recognise' it when I see it :)
And ther eis a lot of good stuff on this site as well.

ErikMiller

ExpAnonColin

Getting your first pedal to work is great fun.  It's good to start with a distortion, too, because they're quite easy to make sound good.  Makes you feel good.

-Colin

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Brian Marshall
One more question.  When reading poly film caps, all values are in pF right.  223 = .0022 pf?  most of them seemed to work the way i expected, but when i went to use a poly film I didnt get the expected results.

The value for a cap is quite simple...  it's the first two numbers followed by the third number of zeroes pf.

So, 223 would be 22000 pf
331 would be 330 pf
1 would be 1 pf

Even easier than Resistors.

-Colin

C Bradley

If you can get a copy of Circuitmaker, PSpice, Multi-Sim, or one of the other schematic simulation software packages out there, do so. It's great stuff for a tinkerer. I've just recently figured out how to get a Bode plot out of Circuitmaker (voltage Vs. frequency graph).  :)

So, now not only can I draw the schematics up, I can tell what a change of components is going to do to the waveform and frequency response. :wink:

Chris B
Chris B

Got Fuzz?

Brian Marshall

Quote from: C BradleyIf you can get a copy of Circuitmaker, PSpice, Multi-Sim, or one of the other schematic simulation software packages out there, do so. It's great stuff for a tinkerer. I've just recently figured out how to get a Bode plot out of Circuitmaker (voltage Vs. frequency graph).  :)

So, now not only can I draw the schematics up, I can tell what a change of components is going to do to the waveform and frequency response. :wink:

Chris B

is that freeware... probably not.  how much does it run?

freebird1127

I'll refer you to a previous post i authored, the subject is "Cheap EDA".  Go try that out, it's got a cheap lite version, and a trail so you can check it out.

Evan Haklar
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

Ansil

Quote from: J GaganI learned how to draw schems from the great tutorial at Small Bear
http://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/Drawsche/Drawsche.htm. I did not know how to use MS paint at the time so it was great that it was so basic.

That says it all there doesn't it...  same here i started pen and paper  then mspaint.  tried some layout programs and came back to good ole paint..  when i get my mac i will go back to the orignal paint program that i love