pnp blue s.o.s.

Started by marc, October 26, 2003, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

I don't have a laser printer. Sadly, my friend who was able to print pnp sheets for me at his work just got laid off (I'm sure the clandestine unauthorized use of the printer had nothing to do with it). So I emailed everyone I know, can't seem to find soemone with a laser printer! None of the local copy shops want to even touch the pnp. They are all convinced it will melt or explode in thier machines. I don't want to go back to stop gap alternate methods requiring extensive sharpy pen surgical interventions. So, does anybody know of a place in the Montreal area where I can have layouts printed onto pnp blue?

Thanks,
marc.

Andy

you can buy the Brother HL 1440 laser printer at Office depot for $150.
Andy

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Fortunately, all these copy shops will print on overhead transparency paper (just tell them you are giving a lecture!).
Same theory as PnP. Works great for some people, not so well for others.

nightingale

hello~
i just bought the brother 1440... it works really well for PNP sheets!
anyway, before i got the printer. i wouls sneak PNP sheets into grocery stores and use their copy machines... no one ever sweated me at a grocery sore... just looks like you are doing an art's n crafts type project!
hth,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

BillyJ

I use the one at seven eleven.
I just try it few times on normal paper to get the depth of darkness right and then I open the paper drawer mark it with an X, print it.
Determine which side my PNP needs to be inserted and print it.
I recommend being right there when the PNP comes out.
Last night at 7-11 the first print folded over itself and did a little melting to itself.
Not too bad just enough for me to need to sharpie up a couple traces here and there.
Not at all like when I took lazertran to the Kinkos  :shock: That was bad...

brett

Hi.  I also use a photocopier (in spite of having access to a variety of laser printers).  The reason is that I do one circuit at a time and only use enough pnp for that circuit.  My process is;
1. photocopy the original
2.  Work out the orientation needed to manually feed the copy and get a second copy over the top of the first
3. cut out a small piece of pnp (just big enough to cover the pcb diagram)
4. stickytape the pnp (dull side up) over the top of the image of the circuit (just stickytape the very edges).  Don't worry, the stickytape (scotchtape?) will not melt in the photocopier.
5. feed the copy (with the pnp stuck to it) through the machine and you'll get a copy of the circuit printed on the pnp.

This is very economical - I get about 20 circuits from 1 sheet of pnp.

good luck!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

marc

thank you all for the replies. i have used pnp numerous times succesfully, so the issue for me is not "how" but "where".
as to transparencies- i tried those and found that there was too much correcting to do afterwards that it didn't warrant the trouble in the first place.
i suppose i could attempt the sneaking the pnp into the local grocers' photocopier, but i usually get eyeballed when i'm in stores so i'm not sure that's going to work. ideally, i'd like to find a copy shop here in montreal where i could give them my pnp and have them printed in a high quality laser copier. that's it.
thanks,
marc.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Marc, if you take a PnP instruction sheet to a copy place & ask the staff for advice, maybe you will find someone sympathetic.. and if you take a copying job to them that is worth $$ that might help too!  :)