fuzzrite again...kinda?

Started by doug deeper, October 27, 2003, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug deeper

ok...since the fuzzrite isnt doing it for me....has any one built anything that sounds close to a "real" fuzzrite???60s farty kind of fuzz...(music machine,osmutantes,ventures,the painted ship,ect)
doug

nightingale

doug~
there are a few ways that i have found to get the super buzzy 60's tones.

the first: build tim's lofo mofo into any FF type circuit. (ive had best result with jack ormans YAFF)... but you want the FF to be pushing the lofo mofo.

also if you drive a vox treble booster with a YAFF/FF, it does a fine job too. the good thing about building the vox treble boost after the FF, is that it has no pots to deal with. i had one with a switch to switch the boost on/off. i ended up giving it to one of the "low flying owls" guys.

the best way i've found to get the nasty nasty buzz tones is to use a YAFF driving a wah, with a buffer in the middle. YAFF>buffer>wah!! if you dont feel like building a buffer, try your stage tuner in the middle. this is the rig i have been using lately. we use this sound for "repetitive hooks" in a few of our songs...

for some reason i have had best luck with the YAFF, its a lower gain SI FF... it seems to do a better buzz than germ FF"S, SI FF"S, and all of the other old circuits i've tried.
hope this helps,
~ryanS
www.nightingalesounds.com
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

nightingale

i forgot to mention~
that my lofo mofo had a bigger input cap than the original schem.
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

RDV

Quote from: doug deeperok...since the fuzzrite isnt doing it for me....has any one built anything that sounds close to a "real" fuzzrite???60s farty kind of fuzz...(music machine,osmutantes,ventures,the painted ship,ect)
doug
The Guyatone "The Fuzz" is about as buzzy nasty as it gets, plus doubles as an octavia. Cheap too!! :shock:

Regards

RDV

doug deeper

its not so much the buzz i want...as the "fart"  :]
the kind of fuzz that sounds like its almost an lfo...
know what i mean???
doug

nightingale

yeah~
i hear you. the best farty noise i've gotten was with a intentionally misbiased FF, driving my lofomofo. i think the secret "fart" of that circuit is where the schottkey diode is grounded of the 500k pot. as it is it just adds a little dirt, but if you could add more of the same tinny fuzz, it would be killer.

the only problem with the lofo mofo circuit is that the caps are so small that the output is pretty weak. it's not a good live circuit IMO.

the misbiased FF driving a treble boost might be worth a shot tho.

i thought that your "garage fuzz" circuit was pretty good too, but i could never get it to sound quite like the sound samples you posted..i can't remember was that a negister type circuit?
best,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com