OT: Tapped single coil pickups in Tele?

Started by phillip, October 27, 2003, 07:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

I was looking through the Seymour Duncan website in search of some pickups for my newly acquired Mexican Telecaster and I ran across the Quarter Pound pickups, which they claim have about as much output as a humbucker, which would be exactly what I want.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/tonechart.shtml#tele

They also have a tapped version of the Quarter Pounds available, which cuts the resistance of the pickups in half when the tapping is activated.  I was wondering if there was a way to activate the coil tap on the neck and bridge pickups with a push/pull pot, while using the Fender 4-way Tele Mod Switch, which has the following switching pattern:

neck--neck+bridge (parallel)--bridge--neck+bridge (series)

Here's a link to the Tele 4-way switching diagram:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams/oem/tele4way.html

And below is an image of my proposed coil tap switching (the switch is on a push/pull pot...the neck switch will be on the volume pot, and the bridge switch will be on the tone pot).  I would be wiring them up so that when the pot shaft is pushed down, the full resistance of the pickups are in effect, and when the shaft is pulled up, the resistance would be cut in half, reducing output.

Thanks for any help!
Phillip

idlefaction

that looks right!

i have a sd tele quarter pound, and i found it was too 'raw' and 'agressive' for me.  i like sweet, singing sounds so i went for the alnico II pickups in the end. to give you an indication, i have an EL84 15W amp and most of my distortion comes from a rangemaster pushing the snot out of the little amp.  *chime* rather than *grrr*.

will sell you the QP for not much (pm me) - it's not the tapped version though. in all honesty, i'd suspect that the tap would change it from 'raw and gutsy' to 'raw and gutsy with half the output'.

if you do go with the tap version, maybe you could wire them with a series/parallel switch if they're four-conductor - the SD help sheet that comes in the pickup box has wiring diagrams on it for this (and probably what you're asking too!)

HTH!  :D
Darren
NZ

idlefaction

heh.  onomatepeically; (sic!!!)

alnico II goes *chaaaa...!*

quarter pounds went *kraaaannnnngggggg!!!*
Darren
NZ

Mark Hammer

If the pickup has a tap halfway, and three solder lugs, the user has a choice of using the inner windings or the outer windings, in addition to the entire coil.    Given the difference in physical proximity to the polepieces, and the consequent difference in linear resistance per turn, the inner and outer half should sound different, with the inner half possessing a slightly higher resonant frquency.

The pickup-makers forum over at Ampage is probably a better spot for your question, especially since several reputable pickup makers post there and respond to queries in a generous manner.

idlefaction

that's the one thing i've never DIY'd in my guitar setup eh.
Darren
NZ