100 watt amp schem fix

Started by Parade, October 27, 2003, 10:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parade

Ok I found this neat little 100 watt amp schematic.
I was wondering what value of pot would you use for a volume control since I see none listed. I assume I would put it right before where the signal goes to the speaker.

Just don't know which value to use for such a high volume amp.
It takes a strong man to carry a bolder across a thousand miles, but an even stronger man to carry a burden for all eternity.

Parade

It takes a strong man to carry a bolder across a thousand miles, but an even stronger man to carry a burden for all eternity.

R.G.

You might look up "LM3886" on a search engine before you go off on a discrete amp. The LM3886 offers outputs in the 15 to 68 watt range depending on the power supply. It's one chip with the whole power amp in it, biased correctly, with load-fault protection and thermal shutdown inside. It costs $5.00 in ones from Digi-Key. Only a few R's and C's needed to make the amp work. You'll need the same power supply and other stuff. The LM3886 is just a really cheap, really good amp for the money.

And I spent a long time building my own amps.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

william

The datasheet for that IC is very informative as well.  http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3886.pdf.

William