Wha scratchy pot tip

Started by Aharon, October 28, 2003, 10:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aharon

Look,it might be a really basic thing but if you have an itchy and scratchy pot and you have exhausted every other avenue to fix it without success this might be it.
As you know thre are various schems for whas out there some of them without the diode to ground at the power supply.My monster wha was built without it and had a scratch that no matter what I did would come back now and then.
After changing caps,pots etc I decided to see what it was that I had different from other non scratchy whas such as Tonepads wha (which I built by the way,great pedal,recommended).
The only thing was the diode,after I installed that the scratch went away as if by magic.
Hope this helps some of you out there.

Aharon
Aharon

Mike Burgundy

This baffles me - really. That diode is there as a crude protection device, between 9V and ground. As far as the main circuit is concerned, under normal operation it may just as well not be there.
How could this *possibly* prevent scratching?
The curing of the problem with the added diode suggests DC over the pot - but how?
Anyone?

Aharon

That's why I never thought of it untill I was desperate and irritated so I looked into differences as if to fill in the missing piece.
It worked!!.
Aharon
Aharon