$39 guitar amp

Started by amz-fx, October 28, 2003, 10:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566630226&category=10171&rd=1

It's probably worth $39 just to get the speaker, box and chassis....  

I don't have anything to do with this seller or product, just ran across it.

regards, Jack

petemoore

Less than 20 Big Macs, or one guitar amp...which do you would last longer?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dan N

The shipping charge is 34.95. Kind of a deal breaker...

Mike Nichting

Big macs~!!!  the Big Macs would last longer at least as a spare tire goes they would :-)
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Mark Hammer

A quick search indicates that there are a LOT of dealers selling this amp within a couple bucks of $39...worldwide.  Somebody, somewhere must have either an outlet near you (e.g., Best Buy sells them), or more reasonable shipping costs.

I'm a little skeptical of the power ratings, though.  Perhaps Pyle are proud members of the Computer Speaker Power Ratings Association.  You know, those folks who brought you the 3" 360W-PMP speakers in a plastic case for $9.99.

If the PPG250A isn't loud enough for your grandmother to hear with her hearing aid up full, they also have 400-800W models with 8" speakers for another $10-30 more.

Ge_Whiz

I was impressed by the 2 x 400W rack-mount amplifier labelled "For Car Use Only". Gee, I ALWAYS wondered what that rack was for in my car - and I just hung my coat on it. :?

Maybe I could buy a rack-mount effects unit with a synthesized "broom broom" noise for when I drive off...

hodad

Quote from: Ge_Whiz
Maybe I could buy a rack-mount effects unit with a synthesized "broom broom" noise for when I drive off...

Well, there is a PCB made by Ken Stone (Cat Girl Synth) called a "V8 Simulator".  Perhaps it's just what you're looking for.

David

Mark:

I had a bass cabinet for a long time that had a 12" Pyle "Driver" speaker.  It sounded terrific, and I sure wish I still had it!  If they kept their speaker quality up in the intervening 20 years, there would be nothing wrong with the speaker in this amp.

Mark Hammer

A lot of people like Pyle speakers, and they are reasonably priced.

The amplifier itself might be a decent product too.  There is a tremendous consistency in quality emerging from the use of power amp chips and inexpensive high quality op-amps and caps, and there aren't that many different ways to produce 3-band EQ or diode clipping, so I expect it to sound acceptable and at least as good as the other low-end competition (Fender Frontman, Crate, teeny Vox and solid-state Peaveys, etc).

Anyone who believes that a $39 amp with a 6.5" speaker and  the phrase "200W" beside it is going to "rock the house", though, probably has another thing coming.  Chances are probably pretty good that it uses an SGS-Thompson or NatSem chip in the 25W range, and the listed power rating is some sort of twisted measurement involving what it could do for a millisecond without spontaneously combusting, on a good day, with the wind at its back.  Certainly the sort of power supply one would need to generate that sort of wattage into a 4-8ohm load would, on its own, cost more than $39.

On the other hand, if they want $35 for shipping, maybe the transformer IS that big....  :wink:

Ansil

Quote from: Mike NichtingBig macs~!!!  the Big Macs would last longer at least as a spare tire goes they would :-)

yeah man do you knowhow long it takes a big mac to breakdown, its like styrofoam,  a coulpe of thousand years.  lol

Erik

My first thought was that this auction was a joke... A big Pyle of sh*t to be discovered once the shipping box was opened.