mark knopfler tone

Started by Zero the hero, November 13, 2003, 04:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

Days ago somebody posted a link to an article about dave gilmour equipment.
I'm looking for something like that about mark knopfler and dire straits. I would like ot know what kind of distortion (or other effects) mark uses in money for nothing abd sultans of swing.
Many thanks!

jimmy

in sultans, he uses an orange squeezer compressor with his strat, with the bridge and middle pickups selected. in money for nothing im 95% sure he uses a les paul, neck pickup with the tone turned down, so you can use pretty much any distortion you like.

good luck
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

Davefx

Actually, if you listen to the studio version of "Sultans", it sounds like just the middle pickup.  However, live I've always heard him use the bridge and middle pickups.  After consulting an old GP mag, for Money fo Nothing, he is using a Paul, but with bridge pickup and a wah pedal set to one position, in fact he actually had a wah installed in his rack (not in its shell) pre-set soley for this purpose.

Dave
Dave

puretube

"MFN"s main ingredient is a stuck Wah (=fixed position) in front of OD/Dist.
In H-C forum I`d say: EH`s Hot Tubes (new one) does the job...

//www.puretube.com

RobB

I vaguely remember reading an article years ago about what was used in the studio on the sultans of swing album.

If my memory serves me correctly, the song sultans of swing was recorded with a voxac30 + jc120 + aural exciter.

Don’t know what he used live but I imagine that exact sound would be difficult to emulate with stomp boxes.  Then there’s the matter of technique………

Oliver

Quote from: Zero the heroDays ago somebody posted a link to an article about dave gilmour equipment.
I'm looking for something like that about mark knopfler and dire straits. I would like ot know what kind of distortion (or other effects) mark uses in money for nothing abd sultans of swing.
Many thanks!

Hi,

i posted that Link to Gilmour's Equipment.
Google ist your best friend on those questions.
I searched just now the Words: "mark knopfler" equipment
http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3399/
here, you find some Informations

have phuuun

cu
Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

Zero the hero

Hey people, you are fantastic!
I'll try all these settings, I'll let you know what I think about it.
Surely, I'll have much fun!!!