metallic sticker tip

Started by Joe Davisson, November 13, 2003, 09:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Davisson

I made a metallic sticker by printing the design onto Avery #8665 clear inkjet label stock, then applying that to a piece of aluminum sealing tape. After that, a clear nail polish overcoat was applied.

The aluminum tape has a pretty thick backing sheet, so it's perfect for cutting out shapes using an xacto knife. You can "cut against" the backing without going all the way through. The bonus is that the aluminum tape is VERY sticky, probably as sticky as the thicker professional metallic stickers.

The problem with the Avery stock is that it is very thin, and doesn't stick well. It's important to put waxy paper over the design and apply pressure outward, to smooth out air bubbles. Watch out for dust particles underneath...

I wanted a shaped sticker because I wrapped a box in black leather vinyl, and wanted the label to be small so the leather showed more. (No photos yet...need new camera :(

-Joe

Marcus Dahl

This sounds really cool. I have found with the Avery stuff if you clear coat the paper before you cut and peal it, it doesn't bubble up on you when it is applied to your project....
Marcus Dahl