Question about etching

Started by Bill_F, November 29, 2003, 03:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_F

I just etched a few boards today and that brought up a question. When you folk etch your boards, do you wait until all the copper in the pads (where you drill) is completely gone. These are always the last to go and seem to take forever. I'm always afraid that the etchant is going to start eating under the tracks. It always seems that if I wait long enough for the pads to etch then any place I have touched up with a sharpie gets eaten away. Just wanted to know what you guys do?

Bill

JRobinson

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the rest of the board has etched well. Besides, your gonna drill out the center of the pad anyways, right? :wink:
If your worried about not getting the "dimple" for starting your drill, use a center punch or lightly tap with a nail.
  Actually, some people prefer to drill out the holes PRIOR to etching. I believe Mark Hammer goes this route. Try both, and decide which you like better.

Bill_F

Quote from: JRobinson
If your worried about not getting the "dimple" for starting your drill, use a center punch or lightly tap with a nail.
Thanks J,
That is what I was thinking about. Looks like a center punch is the way to go. Well, another question thats been bothering me taken care of.  :lol:
I wish they were all this easy.

Bill

Ansil

i drill with a dremel before i etch makes it easier for me.

JRobinson

Bill,
 It's as easy as asking!   :D

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

That's odd... In my experience, the smaller the area being etched the faster.

Large areas take longer and the holes inside the pads are the first to show against light.

I've etched dozens of boards! :)

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Bill_F

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.comThat's odd... In my experience, the smaller the area being etched the faster.

Large areas take longer and the holes inside the pads are the first to show against light.

I've etched dozens of boards! :)

Fp

That makes sense. But it has never worked that way for me. I've only etched about 15 boards or so but always the pads are the last to get done. I'm using the clear etchant, though that probably has nothing to do with it.

Davefx

I etch till just all the unwanted copper is gone and that works for me.  I have a Dremel drill press attachment, which makes it so easy anyway. I also use a center punch if I want a good starter. Never really noticed what gets etched first.. Hmm maybe I should..
Dave

Paul Marossy

I noticed that my boards etch from the outside edges inwards. I always drill after I etch the board. And agitating the etchant solution makes it go quicker as well as adding heat.