Flanger+Charge Pump, so far= #$%K@!

Started by Davefx, December 08, 2003, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davefx

Well, as I've posted recently, my Electric Mistress works wonderful..With 2 9v's, that is.  JD sent me a little board for use with a charge pump, which I wanted to incorporate so I can run it with my PS on my pedalboard. Now first I tried, Mouser's TC7660 by Microchip, and as expected, nasty 10khz whine and other hash that resembles sound effects from a 50's B-sci-fi flick. Ok next, I just got in the mail a free sample from Microchip of their TC1044 WITH frequency boost, popped it in, and no whine, but when you're not playing, you hear as it sweeps, a seperate noise like you're tuning an AM radio. It really happens when the LFO reaches a certain point in the sweep. I messed around with connecting several different caps to the B+ line and no change. I'm waiting on some actual Maxim 1044's, so I can't try it yet. My cheap little scope crapped out on me, so I can't really see where the noise is coming from.  It really isn't too bad, but you would notice it while not playing and the unit is on, especially through a bigger amp.

As I said, it is almost acceptable with the TC1044 chip, but any tips would be helpful. I know, put a MAX 1044 in, right?
Dave