craig andertons first book fixing to be online

Started by Ansil, December 12, 2003, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

...and I doubt if anyone is peeved at Ansil either.  He only meant well, and it's up to him if he posts or not.  

-JACK

"No good deed goes unpunished."  -Grandpappy

ExpAnonColin

Internet ethics makes me squeeeeemish.

-Colin

BillyJ

Well I must admit I jumped the gun pretty quick.
Sorry about that Jack. I am glad what I thought was happening wasn't.
I guess I may not have shot my foot as much as I am sucking on it right now....gulp!
:oops:

Thanks for clearing my head of some junk that was bothering me.
I am glad I posted instead of continuing to think something was awry.

I'll go hide under a rock for a couple days just the same  :wink:

Back to building  :D

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: amz-fx
Quotebut Jack didn't you and RG reverse that Lovetone box?
After they went out of production...  I've reversed lots of boxes but don't post any of them while the company is still doing business.  

Also,  there are two separate issues involved; copyrights and cloning of circuits:

http://www.muzique.com/copyright.htm

http://www.muzique.com/clones.htm

best regards, Jack

That sums up my feelings too.

When an inventor or an author is still making a living off of their work, that should be respected. As the music magazine arena (and the world in general) has become less and less DIY oriented and more commercial, the fact that Craig Anderton still has his DIY work in publication is something that I am very glad about. Once he goes to play "the great gig in the sky" and his works are in danger of being lost forever, that's the proper time to make them available, but not before.

If C.A. wanted them in the public domain, I'm sure he would just post them on his web site or link to them from his forum.

The fact that Ansil didn't get one e-mail reply, ignored the easily researchable fact that the book is available everywhere as a currently published work while saying that it wasn't, and used this as justification for ripping him off was not right.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Ansil

Quote from:

The fact that Ansil didn't get one e-mail reply, ignored the easily researchable fact that the book is available everywhere as a currently published work while saying that it wasn't, and used this as justification for ripping him off was not right.

-Peter[/quote

k like i said before.  peter be a man speak to person directly.  also i didn't post so i dont' understand what the issue is anymore.

smoguzbenjamin

The book's still in print.  So I'd be peeved if it would come online...

I got a hiss-reducer schem emailed to me by one of the guys on the forum because I asked an he had the book. I don't have EPFM because
A) I can't find it anywhere, and
B) I don't have the cash to buy a $30,- book.

I think the "if you got a good reason I'll mail you the schem you need" attitude works best. Try placing yourself in Anderton's position. You wrote a book everyone enjoys. Then some guy posts it on the web and poof, byebye income. If he wanted the book online he'd post it himself, as said before by Peter.

:? God this whole ethics stuff is confusing me...
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

smoguzbenjamin

Have I ever said Anderton was dead?
Or am I misinterpreting your comment?

zachary vex

have i ever said that you said he was dead?

smoguzbenjamin

Now I'm confused :?

Let's assume that Craig Anderton hasn't been run over by a truck in my absence and is still alive...  :P

Mark Hammer

If I understood the first post in this thread correctly, the intent is to scan the FIRST edition of EPFM.  Do not confuse this with the second edition or the third book of DIY projects from Craig.

The first edition is okay, but the difference in quality of design, performance features, useful information, and availability of parts between the first and second editions is substantial.  Those who haven't seen it will end up a little disappointed.  Quite frankly, Tonepad and Generalguitargadgets provide far more useful information these days.

Craig's been nice to me too.  I have a letter from him that is a prized possession.  Having said that, I strongly doubt whether residuals from the first edition constitute a big chunk of his current income.  The second edition and DIY books, maybe, but not the first edition.  I may be wrong, but Craig seems to do just fine with the digital world and has written lots of documentation for big name/ticket companies in addition to his columns and consulting work.

MarkDonMel

How can I tell which edition of this book I have.  Its got the EPfM title, but I can't find any edition notation.  Only copyright dates are '75 and '80.

I am pretty sure it's one of the latest though, because it came with a CD of sample sounds.  Weird that there is no 90's date.  Well, I guess they could've added the CD's or something, who knows...

Just curious, thanks, Matt.
Ipso Facto

Mark Hammer

The one with the CD is the revamped second edition.  Where the first one had line drawings of stuff, this one has photos.  This one also has the noise gate and phaser projects which quickly distinguish it (both editions have a preamp, miniamp, ring modulator, fuzz, compressor, footsweepable filter, etc).  This one IS still available from suppliers, so posting it is probably at least impolite and likely to be frowned upon by publisher and author.

Nothing says that if someone posts a query asking if anyone knows anything about project XX from the book that you can't scan a couple of pages and e-mail them, though.  I can't see anything different between that and photocopying pages from the public library copy.

smoguzbenjamin

Yup. The whole problem being that the library here is being refurbished (doh) and I can't go and see if the library's got a copy. :x I want to see if I can get the book from the library and otherwise a mail-order EPfM would be a nice X-mas present :)