Dave Barber is a sick man...

Started by Rodgre, December 15, 2003, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

casey

Casey Campbell

smoguzbenjamin

Hmmm, if anyone finds a nice combination, please post it up here!  8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Mark Hammer

I guess that's one way to kep your chips together in your parts bin!  I'm always thinking "Didn't I have one more of those?" and hunting around desparately for it.  This way I can keep them together until I need to "liberate" one.

On a more functional note.  If paralleling devices will do things like deliver more current, I'm wondering about possibilities for CMOS hex invertor chips.  I know it is common design practice to parallel a couple of 4049 or 4069 sections to beef up the clock signal when delivering it at ultra-high frequencies to a BBD clock pin.  Conceivably, the same thing can be done with some of the "leftover" stages in any of the derivatives of the Anderton 4049-based Tube Sound Fuzz.

BillyJ

Aw crap just when I thought i was starting to learn what OA I like now I gotta start all over again and check out combos....I iwll never be free of this AHHHHH!!!!!!

That is some cool thinking. Gotta try it.....DAMNIT!!!! LOL!!!  :D

David Barber

Damn I am too late! I was coming over here to post a new tweak link.

Try the TL072/4558 combo. Don't forget some combos will fight each other and some are magic...break out the usual suspects and start soldering! Combos of three or more are more difficult to get a winner, but two is usually a charm. The BB2604 can be a tough one to mate.

David

David Barber

Quote from: Mark Hammer

On a more functional note.  If paralleling devices will do things like deliver more current, I'm wondering about possibilities for CMOS hex invertor chips.  I know it is common design practice to parallel a couple of 4049 or 4069 sections to beef up the clock signal when delivering it at ultra-high frequencies to a BBD clock pin.  Conceivably, the same thing can be done with some of the "leftover" stages in any of the derivatives of the Anderton 4049-based Tube Sound Fuzz.

Lots of active devices can be paralleled with good results (fet, tubes etc) it sure seems worth a shot!

David

tambek

this is really freaky =)

ive gotta try out some of that stuff :)

Marcos - Munky

Hey David, you're mad  :twisted: . Cool idea, man. What about use two opamps of the same kind, like two 4558 or two TL072? I think the Tube Screamer never will be the same after this.

casey

OK, could i put two 386's together?  you know, for a "little gem" amp?
im making my wife a little guitar amp, but wanted something more
powerful than 1/2 watt.  what kind of changes do you need to do
to the circuit to make it work?

thanks!  :wink:
Casey Campbell

aron

QuoteLots of active devices can be paralleled with good results (fet, tubes etc) it sure seems worth a shot!

Dave,

Thanks for sharing!  8)

Paralleling devices has been done before, but I cannot recall seeing op amps done this way.

VERY GOOD!

I see the Shaka Parallel, coming out!

WGTP

I have over a dozen I have been testing in a muff fuzz variant.  12X12=144   :shock:

Hells Bells :twisted:

I'll still recovering from the diode trials.

Any particular combos you recommend?

Thanks for sharing anyway.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

David Barber

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyHey David, you're mad  :twisted: . Cool idea, man. What about use two opamps of the same kind, like two 4558 or two TL072? I think the Tube Screamer never will be the same after this.

This works great, although you get different responses depending on what you are doubling, the BB2604 doubled will really add high end bite (more than a single); 4558, 4559 and TL072 tend to all have their own response in paired parallel, much closer to the response of one chip with a little added wieght, quite clear too.

David

David Barber

Quote from: caseyOK, could i put two 386's together?  you know, for a "little gem" amp?
im making my wife a little guitar amp, but wanted something more
powerful than 1/2 watt.  what kind of changes do you need to do
to the circuit to make it work?

thanks!  :wink:

I would have to try that one, you might get one whole watt! :D

David

casey

that would be ultra cool..... 8)  

so i can basically put them in that way with no other changes
to the circuit?
Casey Campbell

petemoore

This one looks too funny.
 Figure the price of the OA's, and what you've already got going in your ckt's. ... looks like this one's on 'front burner' initial trial/test mode...shouldbe getting feedback anytime now...
 Too easy...first thing I thought was if power supply should be looked at too...but I would guess that won't be a hurdle for most apps. ...'just like' running two chips...er running two chips...
 TLOxx'stax
 Seems a  little tricky to test if one got too much heat...you could run little wires of course to the second socket on a stamp of perf...gangley again
 I usre there's a way to wangle a dual socket for testing on previous builds, would be gangley, and tall...need to develop the perfect chip grabber or dual socket thingy...like a multi adapter that plugs in the first socket
 For future builds just putting the second under the first would be a simple thing to do
 Might be a while before anything like this comes to market in a single IC body...lol...
 Three sockets
 Socket 1: plugs into the socket you have on your existing ckt's board.. run wires out of the top of it to the next two sockets.
 Sockets 2 and 3: go on a small piece of perf. run the [solid core] wires from these two sockets [pins 1-8 on sockets 2 and 3 correspond to socket 1] into a piece of perf, through holes spaced like an IC socket.
  Trim them carefully to perfect length for plugging into socket 1...I have flat jaw needle nose pliers I use to flatten two sides of a solid core [wire] and that makes them slip into sockets...
  Actually I mixed the two methods there you get the Idea?...
 two sockets in a piece of perf [for stackin the OA's...another piece of perf to align the wires coming from the stacked OA for plugging into your existing Ckts socket...TWO sockets, two pieces of perf [one Perf piece big enough to wire two sockets the other for aligning their wires for socket pluggin' [smaller piece of perf and goes between the two perfed sockets and the ckts socket]
 I don't know if I need to get pictures [Im actually waitin on the camera/mailman [ahhh New Digital Cam with Vid&sound!!!] but this would be the way I'd do it...if you can decipher I think you'l like it..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Long one din't make it...doh
 Ya take yer piece of perf big nuf to wire two sockets on.
 take yer second piece o perf the size of an OA
 Ya wire pins 1-8 of the sockets, and solder them through [the imaginary] pins 1-8 on yer OA sized perf, leaving it stick through a bit.
 Trim the wires just long enough for plugging into the socket 'in' your existing ckt's board...I have Needle nose with flat jaw near the hinge, I use these to 'flatten' [put two flat sides on wire core] solid core wires...for EZ slipping into socket pins and it also aligns parallel wires...
 I'd go in from pin one and flatten then pin 5 pin8 pin 4 till they're al lined up and smooth on e the sides...Hope You Like...saves heat risk...and makes it easy to try out on different ones
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Peter Snowberg

People in the Hi-Fi world have been paralleling DACs and opamps for a long time (and before that, tubes and transistors), but this is the first I've heard of paralleling two different opamps. :D

Very cool!  8)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

WGTP

The guys at the Seymour Duncan forum have been mixing coils from 2 different humbuckers for the best of both.  I guess this is a similiar deal. :)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames