Wire Solder tip cleaner

Started by Bill_F, December 17, 2003, 01:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_F

Have any of you tried that Xytronik solder tip cleaner. It kind of looks like a metal scouring pad (that's the only way I can think of describing it). Supposedly you don't need the wet sponge if you use this. Sounds interesting, anybody tried it?

Bill

Peter Snowberg

I've been using either that cleaner or an equivalent method (after I lost the Xytronic cleaner) for many years and I'll never use a sponge again. My tips last forever.

I'm quite convinced that the majority of tip damage comes from the wet sponge cleaning method.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Samuel

I've been using a little tub of tip cleaner / tinner from Radioshack, which doubles as a quick way to retin a tip, and provides a nice edge (the edge of the tub) to scrape scale off of the iron. Anybody have any positive or negative experience with this stuff?

MarkB

I use the RadioShack goop, too... seems to work well, but my iron is only a year old - I'll let you know in a few years if I'm still using my tip!
"-)

jimbob

I use the r shack  tip cleaner as well- I like it and tips seem to last a little longer.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

aron

wow, I gotta try that Radio Shack stuff.

OK, I'm guilty  - I use a sponge.

Rick

I've just upgraded to the XY tronics iron and i'm very happy with it. The tip cleaner is a wad of shaved brass stuffed into an ashtray like container. It looks like the dregs from brass drilling (probably is) but it does a wonderful "dry" cleaning job on the iron tip. I've seen these tip cleaners sold separately in surplus electronic stores for ~3 or 4 $. Go for it - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I expect "the lion will lay down with the lamb" before the wet/dry controversy dies. I just checked a bunch of manufacturer's sites, and they don't all agree! (a good one on iron plated tips is http://www.metcal.com/tips/tiplifep.html )
But, this is what I woud expect, because different tips are made of different materials, for a start!
BTW, I'm damp!