Tony Iommi and Yngwie

Started by jimmy, December 27, 2003, 04:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL

"Tuned down a whole step then drop the new low string which is now D to C so you have a dropped C tuning."

I think the entire Masters of Reality album (oops just showed my age) is in drop C??  It sounds HUGE !!!

AL

javacody

Hey Al, Early Sabbath (with Ozzy) is timeless. I started listening to it in the late 80's when I was a teenager. What was up with that Masters of Reality album cover? If its the one I'm thinking of, it has a guy with a motorcycle helmet on the cover?

Jim Jones

Quote from: javacodyHey Al, Early Sabbath (with Ozzy) is timeless. I started listening to it in the late 80's when I was a teenager. What was up with that Masters of Reality album cover? If its the one I'm thinking of, it has a guy with a motorcycle helmet on the cover?

Hehehe, no that was "Paranoid", one of the cheesiest album covers of all time!  What the hell were they thinking with that helmet?  :)

"Master of Reality" was the third album and the cover obviously cost them even less - just big blue (or purple) words.  That's the album where Tony started tuning down - C sharp I believe.   If you were going to have a "sludgiest Sababth" poll, "Master of Reality" would win hands down - DOOOOMMMMYYY!  :)

Jim

LP Hovercraft

That one's "Paranoid"-looking at that guy on the cover, it's like "Hey-get outta my back yard!"  Sorry, OT  The NKT275 transistor (Hfe in mine is 79) does give a pretty good sound in a Rangemaster clone.  Follow GEO's Austin Treble Blaster article with special attention to biasing and you should be able to make a really good sounding one with a variety of  alternate germanium devices if you can't get a NKT275 (had to rip mine out of a Fulltone Soul Bender)

jimmy

WWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW ansil you met tony iommi!??!?! thats insane. apparently (according to ozzy) he has some kind of all powerful presence about him.

apparently hes also got a reputation for beating people up hehe. once when a crowd of christians followed sabbath back to their hotel waving bibles around, ozzy ripped a bible up and threw it out the window so tony smacked him in the nose haha.

yeah the paranoid album was originally gonna be called war pigs and thats why theyve got that funny looking guy on the cover. id say it suited paranoid pretty well too.

yeah i havent been listening to anything but sabbath for a few weeks now. im thinking of ditching all ideas of writing original songs and forming a sabbath tribute band.

ive made some progress with the iommi sound circuit. its bassically a vox treble booster into and lm386 stage with a few clipping diodes on the way. it squeals alot. ill fix that later and put a schem up.

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

javacody

a  Sabbath tribute band would rock. You'd have to do the hair and facial hair too!

jimmy

im workin on the hair as we speak. ive had two haircuts (as in trimmimng 3mms off the ends) in the past year and a bit  :D

cheers
Jim

tubes or bust

Ammscray

Tony is currently using my Derangemaster RM clone...he tried a few of the other available units and his tech told me he was looking for one that sounded like his original RM (that was modded by somebody) that he lost long ago...

I talked to him about the differences and then built him one with an especially strong and aggressive-sounding Mullard OC44 and a slightly higher than stock inout cap value, and he loves it I'm happy to say!

When I plugged that box (boost-set knob on 1/2) and my 59 LP Junior into my friends Laney Supergroup cranked (and detuned), the tone was there right away :)
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

aron

VERY VERY COOL AMMSCRAY!  8)

Ammscray

Quote from: aronVERY VERY COOL AMMSCRAY!  8)

Thanks! :)

I also managed to get them into the hands of KK Downing and Glen Tipton from Judas Priest, R Blackmore, B May, and Slash...the only one I missed was R Gallagher, and he was really the main one I wanted to get one to...
:(
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

jimmy

thats awesome. i hope one day, some superstar will be using one of my pedals...

cheers
Jim

tubes or bust

Ansil

Quote from: Ammscray
Quote from: aronVERY VERY COOL AMMSCRAY!  8)

Thanks! :)

I also managed to get them into the hands of KK Downing and Glen Tipton from Judas Priest, R Blackmore, B May, and Slash...the only one I missed was R Gallagher, and he was really the main one I wanted to get one to...
:(

very cool indeed it is cool just to get someone signed and famous like that to play them let alone actualy use them all the time.  having reached the first one. i am hoping to reach the second level there.  i got lucky  my buddy when he lived down in  florida he used my boost pedal and jack from canibal corpse checked it out and said he dug it..   i was like your kidding me.   so far thats two magor bands that have looked at them anyway.  i am hoping to get an order for one from Trey Azagathoh's tech.  (i think thats how you spell his name.)