Author Topic: Question about NPN booster  (Read 11477 times)

Axmanjr

Question about NPN booster
« on: December 31, 2003, 11:33:55 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble undertstanding where to hook up all of the wires after the components have been soldered. I am trying to set up the board without a footswitch (so that I can just plug and play) and the one picture posted earlier isnt making any sense to me. Where do I connect the negative terminal of the 9V battery snap? Exactly where do I place the wirings on the input/output jacks? Also, do you have a pic of what the pot looks like with the cap on it? Do you have an actual pic of the finished board with all the wirings, so that i can compare it to mine? So many questions, but I'm just confused.

I noticed that the Parts page says to use a NPN transistor 2N5088, 2N2222.... however, while following the tutorial in the other forum I noticed that the transistor was not included in th instructions.  What do I do with it?  I used a IC socket (8-pin) since the part-lists said that it was okay.

Thanks for any help.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 06:43:36 AM »
the negative battery lead, depends if you have a stereo or mono jack as an input.

Do you want to switch the power with the input jack? It's recommended ;) You take a stereo jack, and connect the ring lug to ground, the sleeve lug to the negative battery lead and the tip to the input of the circuit.
If not just connect just connect the negative battery lead to ground.

there's the offboard connections ;) Only there's an error in that the output does not connect to the input jack but to the output, obviously ;)

Have fun and good luck! :)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Axmanjr

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 08:36:56 PM »
Thanks man, I'll get working on that!  But what about my transistor problem?

Axmanjr

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 10:20:53 PM »
OK, for the output jack, would I connect the 'tip lug' to the output of the board?

aron

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »
Yes, output to tip lug. Rats about that mistake!!!!!!!!

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 04:30:11 AM »
Your need 3 "lugs" of the IC socket, and it doesn't really matter what kind of transistor you pop in there. I tried a 2n2222, BC549 (a, b, c) and a BC959 and they all worked fine :) Mix 'n' match and see what feels best. Make sure the transistor is a NPN transistor, not a PNP.

Don't worry about the mistake aron we all do that ;)

aron

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 04:55:27 AM »
Well thanks for pointing them out.  8)

Axmanjr

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 09:39:33 AM »
Oh, so I just stick the transistor through the top of the socket so that they connect.  okay, that makes more sense...man  am I a beginner!  And which way does it face?

aron

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 02:19:17 PM »
Depends on the transistor you use. If you don't know, you have to look up the datasheet.

You can do it in google:

transistor_name datasheet

Take a look at how I did it and orient your transistor exactly if it's the same transistor or pinout.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 05:08:24 PM »
Yeah, and if the pinout doesn't match the socket, just twist the legs so they fit right :) You don't wanna know how many twisted transistors I have lying around  8)

Axmanjr

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »
I have the 2N3904 transistor.  I was not able to find any type of info on which way the transistor fits in.  Does the curved part of the transistor point to the right?  Also, do I have to solder this into the socket or can I just plug it in and test it out?  

Thanks for all the help you guys have provided so far!  I'm such a dork... :lol:

Axmanjr

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 02:48:17 AM »
You know what, I found some of the answers in the other forum topics!   :D   I also got the booster to work!  Yeah!  I had forgotten to wire the pot to ground :oops:  But I'm real happy!

However, I have a few questions.  Does the size of the schematic on the perfboard matter?  What I mean is- if your picture shows 2 components 3 holes apart and I decide to place them 5 holes apart instead, would it make a difference? Also, if I rearranged the layout, keeping the components connected to their respective parts, would that change the effect?

Thanks again.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 05:05:48 AM »
It doesn't matter how you lay the parts out, as long as you connect them right. The parts don't have any influence on eachother unless it's an electrical influence (like resistance to ground etc. If you don't know what I mean don't worry and forget about it ;) ). Golden rule: As long as you connect the parts correctly, the effect will work. ;) At first you might wanna space parts out a bit, but after a while when you get the hang of it you can make your layouts more compact.

Congratulations on your build! :P

Axmanjr

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 11:28:16 PM »
Now if I wanted to put a DPDT toggle switch on my booster pedal, I would  route it the same as found on
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/articles/elbypass.html.  But I noticed that if I turned my switch around to look at the back, the numbers are all backwards and upside down - so that the top of the switch (right behind ON) has 3 and 6, and the bottom of the switch (right behind OFF) has 1 and 4.  HOw would I connect them relative to the picture?  Does the side with the ON switch recieve the FX IN and OUT wires or does the 1 and 2 lugs recieve it?  I hope that you understand what my problem is!  I am trying to use this switch http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=275-666.  

And again...thanks for any help!

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 06:03:07 AM »
You wire a jumper between the lugs under "on". This might sound wierd, but when the toggle is over towards "off", the switch connects the center lugs with the lugs under "on". It's the mechanical way the switch works.

So you connect the FX in/out wires to the lugs under "off", and the jumper between the lugs under "on".

in ascii art:

"on"
   0|0
   0|0     This is the switch's 6 lugs with on/off labels, viewed from the back.
   0|0
    "off"

---------------------"on"---------------------
Jumper wire-> 0|0<- other end of jumper wire
input jack----->0|0<- output jack        
Effect input--->0|0<-- effect output
--------------------"off"---------------------

Hope that helps ;)

aron

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 12:56:26 PM »
Yes, of course the best way to test anything like this is simply to use your multimeter set to continuity and test the switch to see which contacts are connecting when you toggle the switch.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 01:04:20 PM »
Very true. I like multimeters :mrgreen: