Author Topic: Booster turns to fuzz  (Read 6777 times)

csj

Booster turns to fuzz
« on: January 02, 2004, 12:21:46 AM »
deleted

aron

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:11:35 AM »
Mine didn't do this, but it could be a combo of transistor and your guitar.... possibly.

smoguzbenjamin

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 04:26:08 AM »
Hot pickup maybe?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Kleber AG

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 06:51:12 AM »
The vol know all the way up creates more of a fuzz effect. Is this normal? There seems to be a notch right after 9 where when it hits that point it fuzzes almost instantly. I like it - I just don't know if it's intended to do that.
Yes :P
This is what I like the most on this booster. If you have an already "not so clean" tube amp you will get even more Fuzz tones :P
It's normal and it even simulates the LOW impedance input of a fuzz face circuit, as per Gus words it drops the input Z as you turn the boost knob near full.

It's possible to use a lower HFE bjt to lower the fuzz when you are using the boost knob near full. Well for me that's a nice plus to this wonderful sounding booster!

Ragards
Kleber AG

smoguzbenjamin

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 06:57:05 AM »
Mine fuzzed aswell, I decided it was a hot pickup problem and my OC-2 octave pedal didn't track nicely with the booster right up, so I decided it was nice to get the experience but that was that. Now I'm putting together RG's mini-mixer with a switchable LPB-2 inside. :mrgreen: I love stompbox building!

csj

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 09:51:32 PM »
deleted

aron

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 11:20:54 PM »
I really liked this booster with a 2N2222 metal can transistor. FWIW

smoguzbenjamin

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 05:18:16 AM »
I actually used a 2n2222 metal-can! :mrgreen:

aron

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 03:51:52 PM »
Yippeeeee!

Gus

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 07:06:01 PM »
It is nice to read that people have built the circuit and have fun with it.  This was designed to go clean to distorted.  

Some things to try.  

lower the value of the gain cap the one connected to the wiper.  Try 1uf or lower film.  This might help with the fuzz at higher gain settings if you have a problem with that.  Look at the mod posted at Doug H's site.

Try different values for the 100k used in the bias section one might use a fixed 47k with a 100k pot.

One of the Si based kind of rangemaster I built has a bias control top resistor in the bias section.  

The first might help you get a understanding of "tuning" "voicing"

The 2nd will help with bias point affect on the sound.  Read the rangemaster article at geofx.  Where the device "sits" on the curves affects the sound somewhat.  Look for SIs with different shaped Ic vs Hfe curves I believe this is the difference in sound with Si transistors.

csj

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 10:47:21 PM »
deleted

aron

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 02:15:57 PM »
Good Luck!

jimmy

Booster turns to fuzz
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2004, 03:03:41 AM »
actually, i used a MPSA18 originally, and it had MUCH LESS distortion than a not-metalcan 2N2222. go figure.

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust