can i use this circuit on guita?

Started by axr, August 27, 2003, 05:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

That circuit is for control voltages, so to use it with guitar you would also need a filter module (good old moog comes to mind) where the sound is actually processed, and a control voltage generator of some sort to "sample and hold". Examples of that would be a simple LFO, a series of LFOs, or an envelope follower to give you funky gated auto-wah. You can also sample and hold a white or pink noise source to get a random value. An example of this with a filter and guitar is in Frank Zappa's song Ship Ahoy.

Think of it as a building block for analog synths with some guitar synth applications. Not the sort of thing you would use daily unless you have P-funk running through your veins. Take it home Starchild. :wink:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

I think Zappa used something made by Farfisa on "Ship Ahoy". I remember reading about somewhere it a while ago. I always thought that was a cool sound. It was probably a lot more unpredictable than Zappa made it sound...

moosapotamus

I'll bet Zappa's sound on Ship Ahoy could be replicated with the Maestro (Oberheim) FSH-1A Filter/Sample & Hold circuit. Pick a nice 'noise' transistor and tune the trim pots just right...

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Paul Marossy

OK, I found out what Zappa used on "Ship Ahoy". It's in the October 1995 issue of Guitar Player.
Anyhow, it's the VCF section from an Oberheim keyboard, it doesn't mention anything specific about exactly what keyboard it is from. Could be the same exact thing that moose is talking about...
the reference to the Farfisa organ was used for a comparison to how it can sound with a guitar, apparently considered a drawback by Zappa.