Need your opinions about purchasing an amp

Started by 1wahfreak, January 11, 2004, 12:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wahfreak

Here's my delema, I'm currently playing through a POD Pro. Although it is pretty versitile in getting different types of sounds and is great for playing/recording in the middle of the night without pissing off the neighbors, it's muddy and lifeless. In other words, it's digital. Also the pedals I've been building are best served with a healthy does of tubes. Everytime I build something I think to myself, "I wonder how this would sound through a real amp"? The downside of buying an amp is that I lose some versatility and and I also lose bedroom playing volumes. I also enter a different world for recording.
So I'm currently a victim of the age old problem of money vs tone. I think I can scrap up about $800.00-1000.00 if I sell the POD and some of my old rack effects and pedals. I need your opinions about what is available for that kind of money. I've played some really cool amps lately, (Bonger, Guytron, Soldano,) but they are so expensive, between $2500.00 and 3000.00 (that doesn't include a bottom) and I just can't swing that kind of cash.
I'm a huge fan of Scott Henderson and love his tone. I also play Satriani type tunes and love that saturated lead tone. I'm looking for model names that will get me in that general direction. It also doesn't have to be new.
My current set-up is a Tom Anderson Drop Top > Teese wah > Fulltone Octafuzz > TS-9 > Fulltone Daja Vibe > TC Chorus . I also use a Lexicon MPX1 some digital reverb. It's a shame to continually let these tools go to waste on a POD.
I know everyone is good about giving their opinions about what amp sounds good so I figure this shouldn't be a problem for most you.  :D Any help would be appreciated.

Johan

I've always been a big fan of Marshalls old mastervolume amps like 2204 and its combo-brother 2104  it has that old Mastervolume preamp that virtually all modern mastervolume amps are based on. takes FX's well and is more than loud enough for giging but still gets a decent sound at homeplaying levels. it is also capable of decent clean sound al'a Hendrix-balads, but you sholdnt expect twinnlike headroom... and with a trebleboost in front they can get very simular tones to a Soldano... (witch is based on a mastervolume marshall with a boost in front...!..)

...I love them...

Johan
DON'T PANIC

troubledtom

i have a bunch of great amps and a million fx . but, i use a carvin 2000w rms power amp and two 3 way full range pa speaker cabs. i use a vg 88 v2 and my straight guitar w/ my fx all going to a mixer then to the carvin. my sound is clean and very heavy. amp and speakers will set you back about $1700. bucks.
     but , i use it for live use and want 99% control of my sound. if the sound man tries to "F" me, i turn up or eq it myself.
       - tom

petemoore

IMO "NEW" is a good word to use Near the word "AMP" in a sentence..."almost new" counts too..."really OLD?"...well if it has new caps and pots and jacks and speakers and...I like 'newer"
  However Old isn't that much trouble really, It might take weeks or years of time [sooner you start the better[ having money ready to scoop the rare deal, and get the thing working well and consistanly enough for your application...I've seen super quality old tube stuff [Hammond?] next to dirt cheap or even 'on the curb'.
  You may have to buy tubes, do some work [capacitors etc?], aand rehouse the thing [say the old large/heavy keyboard with tubes for each key] amp, or match the input levels...all these tube amps sound different and I love the ones I have, I think each one is unique and superb ,DYNA ST70, Heath Pre-amp/Amp, RCA VIctor, Marshall MkII Master Lead 50w re-issue.
  The Dyna is pure Cream, Warm, Deep, Wide, Clean, Tubey.
  The MkII is a much Wilder Racehorse, with the 4 inputs [I bridge the bottom of 1 to the top of 2 and pluf into the bottom of 2: note to self try different input and dial all dials] higher gain generally, and much wider [harder to control?] variety of tones can be had, with careful tweaking, I've found it's easiest to use a FF as primary Fuzz and just use the Guitar Volume alot.
  Master Volume Marshall's...they are like a very well tuned effect IMO, can get fantastic tones.
  There's just something about any 'plain' sounding [clean/warm] tube amp that produces that endearing and enduringly loved warm tone. It's an 'effect' that is difficult to duplicte in all it's intracacies [without the use of a tube amp].
  The ability of the 'nice' [quality build transformers, good tubes, and reasonably good design >read more expensive build/not necessarily exorbitant to obtain/quite common in pre late 60's designs<] to distort and compress, and respond to effects in myriad sought after/loved fashion makes them worth the trouble to obtain and maintain.
  Not to say that super clean AND crunchy tones, everything inbetween can't be dialed in with a SS amp, because I've seen it, but I prefer greatly the opportunity to work with tube amps...Big Huge ones for Bass, Nice Big ones on Vocals [through 12's of course ahhhh rich mids !] Little teeny weeny ones for Guitar...Very Sweet...can be EQ'ed For Big TONE !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Alex C

Quote from: 1wahfreakI also play Satriani type tunes and love that saturated lead tone. I'm looking for model names that will get me in that general direction.

Satch uses a Boss DS-1 for his lead tone (except for a few times he uses his Cornford).  I got a DS-1 off Ebay for 25 bucks, then did the seeing eye mod, and now "I am become Satch, shatterer of worlds!"   Try it, you'll rock hard!

But that doesn't help with the other amp issues.   :D

Alex

Peter Snowberg

Have you thought of building a FireFly?

That would give you real tube tones at bedroom levels (you'll still probably need an attenuator) and on a budget too. :)

I'm guessing that it would allow you to get a lot more out of your POD.

Since it sounds like you want hotter sounds, consider the cascode input version. 8)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

brett

Can't comment on costs in the usa, but for your $1000 I suspect you could get an old Fender Twin Reverb.  Not as heavy as a Marshall, but great for mildly overdriven stuff.  I have the next best thing - a MusicMan 65 (cost about US$500 ten years ago).  Musicman was good enough to be used by Eric Clapton and BB King, so it's about 100 times too good for my standard of playing.  But it does have that classic tube sound (12AX7 pre-amp and El34s power).  Like a few tube amps, it has a "low" power switch, which reduces the output from 65W to about 15W.  This makes nice overdriven tones possible without rattling the roof too much.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

gtrmac

Get a THD Univalve. Read about it on their website and you will see that you can have versatility for recording and playing at home AND a great tone. I don't have one but I have been reading comments from owners on several other forums and I would ove to get one.

But I already have three nice tube amps so I'm not dying without it.

I sold my POD last year and got a H&K Tubeman for direct recording and I have never regretted that move either. The Tubeman responds to the FX chain just like a real amp because it is a real amp- no digital whatsoever for me at this point- well except my digital delay. Now if only I had the cash for a Fulltone tape echo!

humbuck

You might want to consider a Marsall tube amp. (no models or serials spring to mind - sorry) You can pick up a marsall stack here in the uk for about £250 second hand, in good nick. And it sounds anything but digital. :D

H.

casey

i have had GREAT luck with a sovtek mig-50.  it's an all tube amp,
point to point....built like a tank....and will cost about 200 bucks
on ebay.  ive toured with one now for about 4 years solid.  it's
a loud 50 watts that will hold it's own.
Casey Campbell

Fret Wire

Are you looking for gig wattage, or a low powered amp you can dime out at home at get the full overdriven tube tone?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

I am also a HUGE fan of Scott Henderson. Best fusion player ever, IMO. Have you ever checked out his website?
http://www.scotthenderson.net

Check out his verbage on equipment. He's used quite a bit of different things. He has used a Roland guitar synth, a Custom Audio Electronics "Freddy Fuzz (Black Cat OD-1), vintage Tube Screamer, and many other things including rack-mounted Mesa Boogie preamps and power amps, a 35 watt Matchless amp, a 50 watt Marshall Plexi, a 100 watt Marshall Plexi, a Fender Bandmaster, and his main amp - a Custom Audio Electronics OD-100. He also has a Z. Vex Seek Wah, an Arion chorus, a Boss CE-2 chorus, and some other stuff.

He seems to use his amps mostly, but he also uses pedals, which are routed through his custom pedal looper. It's hard to get as good a tone as he gets without having the same equipment at the same settings. He really has a great ear and is an incredible player.

If you do get a tube amp, don't expect it to get all the sounds you want. It most likely won't. But with the right combination of pedals and the amp, you might be able to nail some of his tones. If you afford it, keep the POD. It probably could be useful in your bedroom studio. If you play out, take an amp ans some pedals you get dialed in with you.

Chris R

wow.. that scott henderson page is cool.   There is some sound clips w/ him and Victor Wooten.. wow.

If your just looking for bedroom levels.. i'd reccomend a fender blues jr.  It's all tube and 15 watts.   Your not gonna get a distorted sound out of it.. but it definately has the tube OD sound.  The only gripe i have about it so far is that the reverb is kinda weak compared to the bigger fender's.  

Chris R

Paul Marossy

If you like the sound of Scott Henderson and Victor Wooten together, check out either of the VTT albums put out by Tone Center.
(VTT stands for Vital Tech Tones)

jimbob

I dont know a lot bout amps but my new Peavey XXX rocks!!! at least w what I do..
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

1wahfreak

I was turned on to Scott a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. I saw him in Minniapolis last year just after "Well to the Bone" came out. All I can say is "WOW"!!! If you ever get a chance go see him. My favorite albums are ""Reality Check" and "Face First". His tone is impecable and so is his rhythm playing. Gary Willis also kick's ass.
I've never seen or played a CAE amp, but hose are also very expensive. I know it's hard to find an all in one amp. I know what I like, however my wallet just can afford it. I would love to have a Bonger Extacy but at $2700.00 just for the head it's way out of my ranger. Because I'm not gigging I can't justify 100 watts in my upper flat.  Even if I could afford the amp, it would be another $300.00 for a THD Hotplate. I going check out the THD Univalve this weekend. It sounds interesting (being able to swap tubes without rebiasing) but it's only one channel.  :(
Anybody have any experience with a Carvin Legacy??
Any other suggestion would be appreciated. The more ideas I have the better.

bwanasonic

Your rig sounds pretty nice! . For home use, make sure to set your sights on a relatively low wattage. If you are only playing at home I would think the Carvin Legacy is too much amp.  I gig regularly in rowdy biker bars with an *enthusiatic* drummer with my 55 watt amp set for 1/2 power. I think the THD Univalve would be nice. I'd like to have one myself. Some less glamorous suggestions would be the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 , and the Fender Deluxe Reissue. I use a Rivera, and several models can be found for around a grand used. If you can swing it, I would try to keep the POD. If you mainly do home recording it's a very useful tool. And this is from an avowed tube snob! At least try to swing a Tech 21 GT2 if you sell the POD.

Kerry M

Ansil

Quote from: 1wahfreakI was turned on to Scott a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. I saw him in Minniapolis last year just after "Well to the Bone" came out. All I can say is "WOW"!!! If you ever get a chance go see him. My favorite albums are ""Reality Check" and "Face First". His tone is impecable and so is his rhythm playing. Gary Willis also kick's ass.
I've never seen or played a CAE amp, but hose are also very expensive. I know it's hard to find an all in one amp. I know what I like, however my wallet just can afford it. I would love to have a Bonger Extacy but at $2700.00 just for the head it's way out of my ranger. Because I'm not gigging I can't justify 100 watts in my upper flat.  Even if I could afford the amp, it would be another $300.00 for a THD Hotplate. I going check out the THD Univalve this weekend. It sounds interesting (being able to swap tubes without rebiasing) but it's only one channel.  :(
Anybody have any experience with a Carvin Legacy??
Any other suggestion would be appreciated. The more ideas I have the better.

i have had the experience of playing a legacy.  and i would stick with carvins  regular tube amp  instead of forking over the money for the same thing with a cooler pacakgeing..    you could have it modded cheaper than you coudl buy the legacy.